• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No reverse when cold

MarceloSuzuki

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everybody.

I have a XJ 4.0 auto 1998, since last month my tranny start to delays to shift reverse when cold.
Now, reverse don´t engages until fluid reach 150ºF.
Can someone help me?

Last edited:
Well, as rubber cools it contracts, you have rubber parts inside your transmission like o-rings and seals. Your transmission operates with hydraulic circuits therefore, if that o-ring or seal contracts to the point of not sealing a passage or directing fluid flow the correct way, you get problems. Same principle can apply to metal, specifically in the valves of your valve body.

An old trick is to run a cup of lacquer thinner in the ATF. It softens the rubber and makes things seal up better.

Condition of fluid ? old burnt fluid will cause some problems too. Any problems with forward gears ? Proper fluid level check. Motor running, fluid up to temp, then check fluid level.

Condition of fluid ? old burnt fluid will cause some problems too. Any problems with forward gears ? Proper fluid level check. Motor running, fluid up to temp, then check fluid level.

Level ok.
Fluid is light brown. I'm thinking to do a flush the transmission fluid.
When cold, transmission only change to 2nd when engine rev up, or I take the foot off the gas.

Level ok.
Fluid is light brown. I'm thinking to do a flush the transmission fluid.
When cold, transmission only change to 2nd when engine rev up, or I take the foot off the gas.

Light brown is burnt in my book. A nice bright red hopefully when you get that old stuff flushed out. Pretty common with XJ's with the high underhood temps. I installed a drain plug on my tranny pan.

After you know the fluid is good, test your TPS also.

Light brown is burnt in my book. A nice bright red hopefully when you get that old stuff flushed out. Pretty common with XJ's with the high underhood temps. I installed a drain plug on my tranny pan.

After you know the fluid is good, test your TPS also.

I´ll change all fluid and test again.
Tps is new.

Back