• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Missing OFA (oil filter adapter)?

Puddin99

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a new XJ (97, 4.0, 5spd) and noticed that someone had removed the oil filter adapter (90degree elbow) and that the filter is smaller. After doing some research this seemed to be the 'in' thing to do to prevent the OFA from leaking at the block o-ring. Replaced it before but did not think it was that big of a thing. Didn't think once every 15 years isn't that bad.

I'm not so keen on this and would like to put it back to original. Read issues about clearance and poking holes in the filter - most probably related to bad engine mounts.

I have a 94 block with a OFA and can swap it over I think. My question is that there is supposed to be a pin for alignment I believe. Without knowing what the PO did to remove/cut it off, is this going to be a bigger problem to restore original than it is? Any issues getting the nipple out of the block? I think they just took it from the old OFA and put it directly into the block with smaller oil filter.

Thoughts/comments/flames?

Hope they did not screw up threads when they put it in the block. And go for it. There is a guy on comanche club that sells an "OFA o-ring kit" for 5$. Otherwise, the Motormite oil o-ring assortment has what you need and then some.

Back