• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New here. Help no bus

Ckxj20

NAXJA Forum User
So I was driving on the highway today and my Xj felt like it lost power but the it was still running I relized no bus came up and my rpm and speedometer gauge hit zero. I just did fuel pump start alternator and battery cables. It's a 2000 sport 4.0 also my battery is very old you think this might have somethig to do with it. Yesterday I had forgotten my lights on for 4 hours and when I went to turn on my jeep I heard the clicking noise you get from a dead battery I waited a couple of min and it started it struggled though. Any help would be great thanks guys.:dunno::dunno:

Alright man I'll have to check it out. I'll just take it to autozone and have then test it first and than I guess I'll go from there. Thanks for the help

If you have a no-bus and the engine runs normally, there is a connection issue behind the instrument cluster. This is somewhat common.

If you have a no-bus and the engine runs weird, or stalls, you likely have a Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) or CPS wire harness issue. Naturally you should fix any known problems, including Load Testing the battery and replacing it if necessary.

If you have a no-bus and the engine runs weird, or stalls, you likely have a Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) or CPS wire harness issue. Naturally you should fix any known problems, including Load Testing the battery and replacing it if necessary.

actually most every engine sensor can cause it.

The last time our 01 shut off it was the oil pressure sender.

So when your junk shuts off and has no bus, the first thing to do is start unplugging engine management sensors one at a time and turning the key to "on" When the fuel gauge starts working you've found your trouble sensor.

The CPS is a routine maintenance item, with a lifespan of about 125-175,000 miles. Unexplained stalling is a good indicator of weakness. The CPS can be tested.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Connector (CPS/CKP)
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

CPS Testing
TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 –2001 4.0L H.O. engines
1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (See Image). Ohmmeter should be set to the 10K-or-2OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

Back