• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has had luck removing a sye housing?

kippo1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my out put shaft bearing on my sye is bad. I can move the yoke up and down. So I have a extra sye and am planning on replacing the housing that has a new bearing in it.

I have been trying for a couple of hours to get the old housing off the out put shaft. Does anyone have any pointers or tips to get this joker off?

Where is the snap ring on front of the bearing? I am not following.

Normally the rear output housing and rear case half are sealed with RTV.

Hit on it with a rubber hammer.

Gently use a pry bar on the left side of the housing where the selector shagainst the rear case half. Once you break the RTV bead it should come right off.

Be careful, if you are too hard on it, you will crack the aluminum and make your problem worse.

Sorry for get the snap ring I don't know why I typed that I pulled the seal out after I took the yoke off so I could see the bearing better while I was first trouble shooting.

Yes had to get a little creative. I tigged some aluminum stock on the housing with some nuts under it then used a pully puller threaded into those it came off but was stubborn.

I drained right at 2 qts out and the after taking the bearing out of the housing it was not galled or burned but it was sloppy.

I went ahead and replaced the out put shaft and put a new housing on. they sent me a new sye under warranty so I can't complain. So I went over the old out put shaft and it seems fine from what I can tell.

So I pulled the transfer case out of the parts jeep and am going to rebuild it and put all the extra parts (which is only a pinion nut and star washer short of a complete sye) in it and have a spare on the shelf for now.

I've used silicone "adhesive sealant" a couple times when installing differential covers when I had nothing else handy and you would almost think they were epoxied on when it came time to remove them. Glad to hear you got it squared away.

Did the old bearing have many miles on it? Be sure the oil pump pickup is inserted in the pump housing correctly along with the "O" ring when you reassemble everything.

Back