• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best brand for new Renix era fuel pump?

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Trying to decide which brand fuel pump to buy at rock auto for my 1987 Renix beast? Any suggestions which to buy or not to buy? What is the latest experience on these different brands?

Carter, Bosch, (I know airtex is junk) but I see three new brands listed??? One or two of the complete assys look attractive but not familiar with the brands they have listed for complete assys??

I have had good luck with both Bosch and Carter in the
past. Bosch is German mfg and my Carter was USA. The
lesser known brands are offshore made, so beware.

I'd suggest you replace the soft line(s) from the pump
with 30R10 rated rubber. This rating will withstand being
submerged in gasoline much better than even the
stock fuel line.

I have been happy with the Bosch replacement pump from NAPA:
First thing I noticed was that I had to adapt the pickup assembly for the Bosch product.
Second thing I noticed was the lack of noise when I turn the key. The power antenna noise drowns out the fuel pump noise. It does not sing at elevations above 9,000 ft, unlike the products it replaced.
Third thing I noticed, since you asked, is that it still works quietly, and without fail.

I know you arent considering sorted so here is another example why. I replace my wives mini van pump with an airtex as it was the only thing AutoZone or kragen had at the time and she needed it working to take kids to school. So I did and promptly replaced it 4 more times that year under warranty because it kept going out. I was next going to replace it with a Bosch unit if I had to buy a new one but we got her a new vehicle before that happened. The stock replacement would have been double the price of the Bosch which is why I wasn't going with it.
I can't remember which brand I put in my 90 xj when I replaced it over 10 years ago.

Pretty sure Bosch was OEM, Delphi is considered an "upgrade" Most parts stores seem to just carry pump only for bosch or delphi. RockAuto typically has bosch or delphi complete assy.

Pretty sure Bosch was OEM, Delphi is considered an "upgrade" Most parts stores seem to just carry pump only for bosch or delphi. RockAuto typically has bosch or delphi complete assy.

On a side note: When I replaced my old fuel tank, I bought a loaded assembly to install in it. The fuel pickup assembly happened to be the Airtex brand. After the Airtex pickup assembly FAILED, I went to the junkyard for a stock pickup assembly, and installed the NAPA/Bosch pump on it.

"And that is all I have to say about that." :D

ALL_CATCH637a.jpg

Back