• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack recommendations?

Building one is out of the question being in the navy and living on an aircraft carrier my options for building are severely limited.

Understood...

I found a cheap one on Amazon. But after getting it, realized it was too small and looked like crap-ola. So I spent more money on materials and about 20 hours stretching it 8" and lengthening it 8". It's still too short for my taste.

Good look with your search...

And thank you for serving. My pops was an electrician's mate on the USS Flint in the Pacific Theater during WWII...:patriot:

Just a heads up, I was going to go the roof rack route as well.. first time out this year I just had my spare strapped onto the stock rack, mid-way through a trail I had to pull it off to fit under a tree, that changed my mind.

Understood...

I found a cheap one on Amazon. But after getting it, realized it was too small and looked like crap-ola. So I spent more money on materials and about 20 hours stretching it 8" and lengthening it 8". It's still too short for my taste.

Good look with your search...

And thank you for serving. My pops was an electrician's mate on the USS Flint in the Pacific Theater during WWII...:patriot:

I appreciate the advice, been searching and it seems I find a lot of cheap ones on amazon just hoping to find one that someone on here had run. Its my pleasure serving for you all!

I bought one from Walmart. It's very small. But it doesn't look too bad.
75948b4932120ae1ee67e87d2e38a378.jpg

Kinda new here but i know with your limited resources you can only do what you can. I'm planning on building one out of 3/4" EMT and 1/8" steel. All of that should be somewhat accessible (used loosely) on a carrier. I may mistaken in that fact. Once you can get back state side, you're looking at MAYBE $100 in metal. Mind you, i'm also planning a 60"Lx48"Wx6"D rack. Takes up pretty much all space on top.

Back