• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 Cherokee Fuel Sending Unit Nightmare

rhino257

NAXJA Forum User
Firstly I'd like to say thanks for looking at my post,here goes my problem.

I have a 95 Cherokee 6cyl 4.0
It needs a new fuel sending unit,however I cannot find one anywhere at all.
I'm wondering if the unit has been replaced with a different unit altogether, but I cannot find any info on that as well,
Thank u for your time and any help is greatly Appreciated!

That link is only taking me to Rock Auto, not any specific part, but it seems to suggest a fuel pump without mention of the sending unit.

Searching through Rock Auto the sending unit seems to be conspicuously absent from the fuel section. Even the tank and pump assembly seems to be short a sending unit: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=6329256&cc=1180268&jnid=424&jpid=0

This is not the first time someone has run up against this problem. There was a thread about it a couple of months back, if my memory serves correctly.

I don't recall the resolution. I will have to see if I can find the thread.

Edit: Found here. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1118527&highlight=sending+unit Same response--Rock Auto, but that only seems to work for earlier years. I can find sending units for '93, but not '95 nor '94 either. I wonder what is different about '94 and '95.

Last edited:
I special ordered mine, for an '01, but cant imagine the tanks are different. I cant remember who I ordered it through, but it was made by Airtek (sp). I mis-diagnosed a fuel problem several years back, but had the new pump/sending unit already, so I just put it in anyway. Easy job. Hope this helps.

Well, there is certainly a tank difference from '96 and down versus '97 and up.

I don't know of any tank differences within those ranges, but there are certainly some sending unit differences. The '96 is a one-off design. From what is not readily available I would guess the '94/'95 has some different feature of its own too. Perhaps the sending unit operates within a different range of resistances, or perhaps it is something as simple as a different plug for the wiring harness.

Something has got to be different or else vendors would be happy to list their products for a larger pool of potential customers.

94-95 have a different style pump with different connectors. If its just the connector you might be able to splice something on. The usual fix for something like this is find a part-out and buy a spare sending unit

Oh, good. I thought this was a one year only cluster**** for 96. All the others I have use three wires, but the 96s are four or five, as I recall. I'm kind of in the market, as well.

I just plugged in an earlier assembly, and used the plug from the original to tie in the fuel pump on my two door. Sending unit is totally different, as is the plug.

Last edited:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=946349&cc=1180268&jnid=423&jpid=17

SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT SP6139M

This is what I was trying to show you. Very last item in fuel pumps. Hope this helps. 5 or so pics to get a good look before ordering.

That is for a '97 or up. '96 and down use a galvanized steel sending unit assembly and rather than mounting from the top of the tank and going straight down they mount at the front of the tank and make a ninety degree turn going in.

That is for a '97 or up. '96 and down use a galvanized steel sending unit assembly and rather than mounting from the top of the tank and going straight down they mount at the front of the tank and make a ninety degree turn going in.

Rock Auto messed up there didn't they. Front mounted like my '90, humm. I can still buy ones for my '77 chevy van. Jeep was apparently smoking something when they designed this year, and the stupid upside down oil filter.

Thanks for the info, sadly the unit is what failed.
I wish it was a simple wire splice.
It's forward mounted and has the 90 degree bend. I've found simular sending units, but the pumps are usually under powered, also the correct pump won't fit the other sending units.
Finding a salvaged one is equally frustrating, seems they been snatched up.
I'll keep trying though

Back