• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Main Seal/oil pan gasket...what is this thing that fell out?

x1n54n3x

NAXJA Forum User
17f882c0c6baf2132076e030e393bf86.jpg

The rms and oil pan gasket are pretty straightforward jobs I think, especially considering the engine is out. I have two questions though...first, when I dropped the pan, that little metal bracket thing (pictured above) fell out...what the heck is it and where does it belong?

2fd9c0e59f9b111aa39afb970099ab9d.jpg

Second, I know I need to remove the bearing cap to reveal the rms, but there seems to be a bracket that isn't detailed in my manual or any videos I've found on the rms job for a 4.0. Do I need to remove all 14 bolts holding it on to be able to remove the bearing cap or will the 2 bolts for the bearing cap be sufficient and provide enough clearance to get to the rms?

Thanks for the help, with travel and waiting on different parts and work, this swap is taking forever lol.

It is called the girdle. You will need to remove it.

As Overland stated, it's external to the pan, not internal and installs where he says it goes. So it fell off, not out.

Andy

Great, thanks guys, the pan kind of dropped a bit once the last bolt came off and that metal bracket hit the ground before I could figure out where it came from.

Of all the dirty jobs I've done on mine, the RMS was the dirtiest.

Back