• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace drag link??? Or not??

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
So since putting only lift and thoroughly inspecting everything under the jeep, my tie rods are all toast. I have decided to replace my tie rod with the IRO heavy duty one, as well as their adjustable track bar. My question is should I just replace the drag link as well? The non replaceable end is toast. Thanks.

Unless your running big tires over 35's or HD off road use a mid 90's V-8 Grand Cherokee Tie Rod setup (direct bolt-in) is very HD unit itself solid steel and large ends to boot, best of all < $100 at AutoZone for there top brand (Moog) is what they are.

I run them on my off road only XJ with 35" tires, no rock crawler but a lot of tough trails.

If the non-replaceable end is toast then replace it. For drag link, use Moog DS1328 (I think, make sure you confirm). Just recently did this - fits perfectly.

Just get the premium replacement drag link from your local Carquest/Napa, etc.

Yes, replace it. I just replaced all my steering last year. I'm running the IRO tie rod and double shear trackbar and love it. I also debated on the ZJ or a HD. For the price and what I got, I would rather have the IRO HD tie rod. I got all my TRE's and drag link from rockauto, all MOOG too. The TRE part #'s are MOG-ES3094L drag link MOOG Part # DS1238

Just FYI the IRO tie rod is SHORT, in comparison to other aftermarket dom/solid tie rod replacements. So, don't plan on running a tall lift with the IRO tie rod. See blondejoncherokee's build thread (later in it, about his MJ) in the sierra chapter forum.

Thanks Johnnie. I ended up canceling that order. For this reason and the fact that they were charging me 21 bucks shipping and weren't going to ship it out until next week.

Before I got my currie steering, I was running the ironman4x4fab solid tie rod. Uses 3/4 ton TRE's that you can get off the shelf at most any parts store. That will be going on my MJ when I put the small lift coils and adjustable track bar on.
Most any others are fine as well and don't seem to be super short. I believe you can get the IM4x4fab one with or without TRE's when you buy it. I got mine when he was first making them, and he didn't offer the TRE's yet. I am currently running Moog TRE's in mine.

I ended up picking up the Rustys HD tie rod because it came with Moog ends for $100. I read good reviews had that is a great price.

Back