• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

issue with my turn signals

calenatar

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up a 97 xj sport a few months back, been bringing it back to life(owned by a woman who seemed to do no maintenance) one of the issues i'm having is with my drivers turn signals. passenger side works fine. Issue I'm having is that the drivers rear and side marker light blink fast, and the front turn signal/running light doesnt blink at all, but stays solid. I've replaced both front bulbs, no change. thoughts?

Best guess is you have a ground issue. I'd ohm check the outer portion of the bulb holder to battery ground. And do the same on the opposite side and/or any related bulbs. When you have a bad ground someplace, current can back feed and cause all sorts of weird lighting occurrences.

Usually when you get that fast blinking it means a bulb is burnt out someplace. Maybe a bad ground will do the same or something very similar.

You should also check the inside of the bulb socket for corrosion. I use an anti corrosion contact spray and a small scrub brush.

Check the wires while you are in there for cuts and chaffs. The wires aren't protected well behind the headlight buckets and go around a lot of sharp metal corners.

Consider checking the flasher relay. Maybe even your clock spring.

well upon further inspection, it appears i wasnt looking at my lights correctly the first time and had the running lights on when i was testing the turn signals...the front lights do nothing when not being lit for the running light from the headlight switch

Check the contacts in the sockets with a test light while operating the signal. If the light blinks, check the ground side by clamping the light to (+) and seeing if it lights when touched to the ground contact in the sockets. If all is well you either have a bulb issue or contact issue. After turning the circuit off, try bending the contacts inward a little to increase tension on the bulb connections. Hope this helps.

ended up being a bad ground. hit the wire for the turn and for the running light and both lit up with the test light. grounded it to my core support, problem solved

Back