• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dash lights

babyd911

NAXJA Forum User
I was curious if you may have any ideas on this problem. I was wiring up some back up lights. My buddy hooked the switch up but the "ground" wire for the switch tapped to the illumination write for my cigarette lighter. Now none of my dash lights work. Everything else works. Checked fuses and they are all fine. Any ideas?
93 cherokee country
4.0l 4x4 5 speed manual

The most likely fix will be to undo what was done, since it's probably rerouted the dash light circuit to try to light the backup lights, or grounded it. If the new switch requires a ground, ground it to the chassis through a sheet metal screw. Plenty of screws down there. For most sanitary installation, put a crimp lug on the ground wire and stick a screw through it. Many XJ electrical systems are lacking enough grounds already, and it's usually better to add one than to piggyback on one anyway.

Back