• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ac/condenser hard lines

x1n54n3x

NAXJA Forum User
f0d80369068417a0b66965dff10e3859.jpg

This is probably trivial but I've tried looking around and my book doesn't detail exactly how to disconnect the hard lines running from the evaporator inlet to and from the condenser in front of the radiator. The lines look like they fit into each other and have a metal clip to ensure they stay put, but after removal of the clips, I'm confused as to how they come apart, unless I just don't have the right tool. Could someone steer me in the right direction? The round fittings in the photo are what I'm talking about for reference. Thanks.

3186ba70ca0e64d44a28c68e12aeceb1.jpg

Picked this guy up at my local Napa, but can't for the life of me get the first line loose. Not sure if the tool is having a hard time getting under that spring or what, but it's not budging. Any tips or tricks?

Sometimes the garter springs get stuck from dirt and corrosion. You may find it necessary to spray penetrant in there to loosen them up. A pick to clean out any dirt can help too.

I've used a small hammer and with light taps got the tool to work its way in. Sometimes that little bit of impact action Vs. static pressure works wonders but of course be very careful as it is a pressurized system.

Or, try twisting the tool around as you apply pressure to help work the tool in along with some spray.

The system should be pressurized when you are separating these lines. You will have one big cloud of oil and refrigerant and then have to clean up all the oil that blew out.

The system should be pressurized when you are separating these lines. You will have one big cloud of oil and refrigerant and then have to clean up all the oil that blew out.

I was thinking more of a bad swing with a hammer hitting the hard line and damaging it without realizing...

I got the top line off, however the bottom one is proving to be harder to get leverage for. I'll try some light taps once I get back home from work this afternoon.

@md- do you mean depressurized? Everything I've read has told me to evacuate the system prior to pulling these lines apart...not to mention my ac wasn't really working and the pressure was low to begin with. At any rate, the system is depressurized right now.

edit: I see you just corrected yourself.

Back