• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 starter on 2.5 XJ

Overland

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone used the motor from a 4.0 starter on a 2.5? It looks close, but in the end, pan clearance determines all. It may even fit, but could be a squeeze going in and out.

I ordered a brush set. Thinking the cap was the same on the 4.0 starter, same brushes even, I ordered a brush holder for a 4.0. Should have remembered that the commutator was longer, and worn funny as a result. I can fix that. Went ahead and put my starter back together and installed it in the rain, the taller brush won't clear the armature without more modification than I'm up for.

So I have a 4.0 brush set, and a matching starter, probably once remanufactured and sold through an Autozone. The motor will plug onto the drive, everything is the same other than length. (and brush size) I'd go find out, but I've had enough of the rain, and it seems to be coming down harder.

Will it fit?

It was from NAPA, and it came with the wrong brushes in it. "Economy priced" or something. Anyhow, four bangers are dumb, I know. On to the pics.

Here's the commutator, note the wear from incorrect brushes.
0522150925.jpg

Fixed, polished, brushes installed.
0522151303.jpg

Here's the difference in motor lengths. You can guess which one is for the four.
0522151948.jpg

Just enough clearance to go in and out, doesn't hit the pan.
0522151954.jpg

So there, I put a 4.0 starter on my 2.5, and it works just fine.

4.0 starters also come in more than one length, and more than one brush style. I'm not sure after all the swaps I did over the years which were which or when they changed, but they did differ too, although I think they all would fit. I had one from either an 89 or a 93 which was shorter and had different brushes from the 95 and 99.

This one came from an 89, went on a 96. It had the short brush set for the four cylinder, which tore up the end of the commutator pretty bad. It may not take another set of brushes.

Other than short and tall, what kind of other brush setup have you seen? Was it still Mitsubishi?

they also mount totally different,2.5 more like a gm style starter mounting

With E12 bolts, no less, but it's the same Mitsubishi from the reduction gears back. The four cylinder version, aside from the adapter difference, has a shorter motor, commutator, and brushes, but it's all the same otherwise. Same solenoid, same cap, same gear pattern, same bolt holes. Shorter bolts.

Just found this today, made by Bosch. POS has a plastic annulus gear. Could have got away with just a clutch, but someone got mad at it and struck it with some metal implement, breaking a magnet. Replaced through an O'reilly's store for $70, another Bosch. Came from a 93 2.5.

0612151401.jpg

0612151510.jpg

For what it's worth, I dropped the Mitsubishi starter from my 96 and bolted it into the 93 in order to hear it run. Bolts right in, works just fine. Given the construction of the reduction gear set in the Mitsubishi, I would consider it to be superior.

Learn something new every day.

Back