• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 Jeep Cherokee persistent airbag light, horn and cluster work

clever forum name

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I've searched for solutions this problem on NAXJA and found nothing conclusive. I've got a 97 XJ with a 4.0L and manual trans, I'm whipping it back into roadworthy shape and I'm now working on the airbag light. The horn works and I'm not having any issues with a dead instrument cluster or lost data bus issues. The Airbag Control Module has apparently already been relocated to the center console, and there's no faults stored in the ECU as per Torque and my bluetooth OBDII tool.

I checked cabin fuses 26 and 27 along with cleaning their contacts, problem persisted. I've also replaced the clockspring with a spare left over from converting my '99 to cruise control, as most of the time that seems to be the problem. No dice :banghead:

I have noticed the airbag light stays on for about seven seconds, then flashes off for a moment before coming back on. Someone told me that means the airbag module has passed its self-test and the problem lies elsewhere in the circuit, does that sound correct to anyone else? Anyone know of any other common problem that leads to airbag faults, and would a better shop scan tool be able to read any airbag-specific codes?

From what I understand there is a ground for the air bag control module that may not be making a good ground connection which may cause that problem. I am unsure where it is exactly, but my first guess would be beneath the console near the module.

I ripped apart the interior and dug up the wiring diagrams for the entire airbag system from battery to bags, and did a ringout/short check/voltage check on everything. The module's ground appears to be right there at the box itself- in fact it uses one of the mounting screws for the ring terminal- and it rang good to the chassis.

I'm stumped right now, I guess I need to get in touch with someone that has a DRB reader? The wire has continuity from the module to the airbag connectors, there's no shorts or crossed wires I was able to find. I got 13.6 volts at the module connector on pins 26 and 27, both coming from the ignition switch with one being the power feed in the run position and the other being a combination start/run ignition switch feed. Maybe it's a bad module?

Edit: looked at the connector again, there's two pins populated with wires (11 and 12) that I can't find any wiring diagram for. Weird :(

double edit: found the FSM airbag connector pinout, according to that pins 11 and 12 are unpopulated regardless of option or trim level. what is going on here

Last edited:
Stop chasing your tail and get to a shop with SRS capabilities. Have them pull the codes, knowing what circuit is affected makes it easier to form a game plan. Hit or miss diagnostics like this will only serve to frusterate you.

There are many shops that are capable of pulling airbag codes but dont service the systems due to liability issues. There's a good possibility that the shop you currently use for your service needs can pull the codes. Depending on the relationshop you have with them, they may even throw you a freebie.

At worst, you waste the time with a few phone calls to find someone that can help you out.

Okay so I've searched for solutions this problem on NAXJA and found nothing conclusive. I've got a 97 XJ with a 4.0L and manual trans, I'm whipping it back into roadworthy shape and I'm now working on the airbag light. The horn works and I'm not having any issues with a dead instrument cluster or lost data bus issues. The Airbag Control Module has apparently already been relocated to the center console, and there's no faults stored in the ECU as per Torque and my bluetooth OBDII tool.
Anyone know of any other common problem that leads to airbag faults, and would a better shop scan tool be able to read any airbag-specific codes?

There is a large plug with dozens of wires, under the dash-left driver's side, with a small bolt going through it. This plug often becomes loose and can cause all sorts of problems.

BTW, the 1997's Airbag Control Module is Factory mounted in the center console, under the storage box. At least the 1997 XJ in my driveway was built that way.

I have seen various air bag and antilock brake problems and have a scanner that reads the codes for these systems.
I have never seen any codes from the scanner when scanning XJs, with the airbag or 'antilock' light on.
There is a definite lack of online information for troubleshooting these systems. Never seen a Factory manual with good troubleshooting diagrams or test procedures.
Anyone have some links?

Stop chasing your tail and get to a shop with SRS capabilities. Have them pull the codes, knowing what circuit is affected makes it easier to form a game plan. Hit or miss diagnostics like this will only serve to frusterate you.

There are many shops that are capable of pulling airbag codes but dont service the systems due to liability issues. There's a good possibility that the shop you currently use for your service needs can pull the codes. Depending on the relationshop you have with them, they may even throw you a freebie.

At worst, you waste the time with a few phone calls to find someone that can help you out.

I would have done that to begin with, but this is an uninsured project vehicle with no plates so it's not legal to go any further than my driveway :( Getting rid of the airbag fault is unfortunately part of getting it roadworthy again

There is a large plug with dozens of wires, under the dash-left driver's side, with a small bolt going through it. This plug often becomes loose and can cause all sorts of problems.

BTW, the 1997's Airbag Control Module is Factory mounted in the center console, under the storage box. At least the 1997 XJ in my driveway was built that way.

I have seen various air bag and antilock brake problems and have a scanner that reads the codes for these systems.
I have never seen any codes from the scanner when scanning XJs, with the airbag or 'antilock' light on.
There is a definite lack of online information for troubleshooting these systems. Never seen a Factory manual with good troubleshooting diagrams or test procedures.
Anyone have some links?

Yeah, that's plug C4 according to my FSM and I've actually already pulled it, cleaned it, rang it out and reinstalled it. Problem persisted, unfortunately. From what I've read you can pull airbag codes but most scanners that are just OBD-II can't do it, you need a Chrysler DRB compatible tool.

I've done some research and it looks like the airbag module from my '99 will work with a '97, so my next I'm gonna go pull it and swap it in to see if that solves the fault.

Last edited:
Okay, when I swapped in the 99 module the light cleared after the short start-up self test just like it's supposed to. Swapped the original back in and oh hey airbag light is back on. Time to find a replacement module

Back