• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Fuel Line Leak

crmerrill

NAXJA Forum User
88 XJ Waggy 4.0 AW4 D30 8.8 rear w/NP242

It's been sitting for a few years and has recently returned to my ownership. PO put in a new fuel pump and tank. I cleaned out the fuel line and replaced the o-rings with new lubed, viton 5/16, o-ring spacer o-ring pattern. Turned the key on and heard the fuel pump prime, checked the QD connection and looked good. Started it for about 5-10secs but did not run. I waited and turned it for another 5-10secs with no success. Did it a 3rd time w/no success and checked back under the hood and saw a small stream of fuel coming out of the fuel line itself. It didn't appear to come out from the area where I replaced the seals, but it seemed closer to the crimped area meets and rotates on the cylindrical section of the hose.

I relieved the pressure from the system, checked the o rings to make sure they were seated correctly and they seemed fine. I put it back together and did the same procedure as before with the same results, but perhaps a little less leaking. Here's my first attempt at posting a picture:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/euET0e0or1sOvSSuDL_sXJYiooQy80ATOEDnTVuWzbc?feat=directlink

I think it's coming from the small arrow location, but maybe from the big one. Regardless, the problem remains that there is a leak that needs to get fixed and I'm 98% sure it's not the o-rings. Is there a replacement QD fuel line out there? Other options? Can I scrap the QD style altogether?

88XJfuelQD1.jpg

This is after it dried a bit, then I primed the pump and cranked it one time. Seems the more it turns, the worse the leak gets- sustained fuel pressure and what not...

Mine leaked at the swedge almost ten years ago. I cut off the crimped part, trimmed the line and re-installed with a pair of hose clamps. It has not leaked since.

You could replace the QD hose with a new piece. Or like hypoid said use hose and clamps. Make sure it is fuel injection specific hose and fuel injection clamps. I would double up on the clamps. Pressure at the like before start will be around 45 psi I believe.

I got rid of the renix quick discos before they got rid of my renix.... It's not cheap, but neither are the replacement costs for an xj and anything parked within a few feet...

ANPlumbing.com

Mine leaked at the swedge almost ten years ago. I cut off the crimped part, trimmed the line and re-installed with a pair of hose clamps. It has not leaked since.

Did you have enough slack in the rubber supply line to meet up with fuel rail? It seems like a close fit before the cut already... or did you splice in new line?

You could replace the QD hose with a new piece. Or like hypoid said use hose and clamps. Make sure it is fuel injection specific hose and fuel injection clamps. I would double up on the clamps. Pressure at the like before start will be around 45 psi I believe.

Does Jeep still sell that QD hose? I think the part number is this: 53004687 but it looks like it's no longer available. Maybe your google skills are better than mine

I got rid of the renix quick discos before they got rid of my renix.... It's not cheap, but neither are the replacement costs for an xj and anything parked within a few feet...

ANPlumbing.com

Do you have a parts list to make the conversion? Seems like an interesting idea...

Thanks for the help so far!

crmerrill said:
Did you have enough slack in the rubber supply line to meet up with fuel rail? It seems like a close fit before the cut already... or did you splice in new line?
I might have cut off the length of the crimped fitting. There is enough fuel hose below the manifold that I was able to pull it up and put clamps on it. I don't remember if I had to loosen the bracket on the manifold, or tweak the hard line under the manifold, or both.

Back