• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intermittent airbag light

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I've had the airbag light pop on a couple times while driving my 01.

First time it did it the cluster went dead, then came right back.

the other two times it has, the cluster has worked as normal, just the airbag light came on.

any idea what this might be? last thing I want is something that could result in the bag blowing while i'm driving it for no reason.

Could be the clock spring

Either the control module ground or the clock spring. If the Airbag light is ON, the system is non-functional.

Another common problem that will cause this would be the two BUS connectors that connect to the instrument cluster having black oxidation spots on the contact points inside the connectors. There was a TSB back around 98 or 99 that was supposed to correct this problem by replacing the harness connectors that connect to the back of the cluster. The TSB did not resolve the problem on my '98. I have removed the cluster and cleaned the connector contacts and cluster pins many times, but problem continues to return. Even tried a thin film of dielectric grease, but the problem persists.
For me what works when the cluster goes dead.... is to use the directional selector and make a right turn. The instrument cluster will return to life. I have showed this to numerous Jeep friends that drive 97-01 XJs and 97+ TJs. This resolves the problem until the next time and then you do the same process again.

Back