• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeaky fan belt

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
97 XJ with ~180k miles. When the AC is turned on, it squeaks mightily when taking off from a stop. It will continue for awhile, and usually stop with constant driving. I have replaced the serpentine belt, adjusted to proper tension, and replaced the idler pulley. The steering pump seems to be going. I have no idea of the age of the water pump, but it doesn't leak. The belt doesn't squeal without the AC being turned on.

What else do I check? Any way of isolating the noise?

If you're sure the belt tension is correct then its probably the compressor bearings

3-foot section of 1/2" hose is best way I know of to find a high-pitched noise, one end in your ear while a helper revs the engine

You might be able to spritz some light oil in the bearings and see if it stops for a while

I tend to think the belt may be loose, but if not, like ehall says, its probably the compressor itself.

Back