• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dies when shifted to drive

WiscoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
going from park to drive it dies, same if your on an incline in drive it will die. If u keep the rpms a little higher and go to drive it won't die. If I do that it drives around fine. I pulled the tb and IAC and ran them through the parts washer at work tonight. If that don't do it any recommendations or a good way to test the IAC? The FSM says u need a special tool

The IAC is a slug on a screw. The motor at the end turns, the screw moves, the slug moves.

Oft times the part that keeps the slug from turning with the screw wears and instead of the slug moving, the slug spins instead.

Just replace the IAC. It's cheap.

going from park to drive it dies, same if your on an incline in drive it will die. If u keep the rpms a little higher and go to drive it won't die. If I do that it drives around fine. I pulled the tb and IAC and ran them through the parts washer at work tonight. If that don't do it any recommendations or a good way to test the IAC? The FSM says u need a special tool

What year is this XJ?

I really have not found a good conclusive way to test the IAC without a scan tool. With the scan tool you can move it up and down. If the IAC is working and you unplug it, it should go fully open, allowing maximum air past the throttle plates, meaning at that point RPM should sky rocket. I probably wouldn't have run them through the parts washer due to possible damage from that but what's done is done.

I just through a new one it it. good to go! Having other issues now. at about 50 mph I hear a loud grinding noise. haven't figured out what it is yet

CHeck fluids in your diff, t-case, and check u-joints. Also, brakes.

Back