• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a second Opinion, jeep wanders

Jeepedo129

NAXJA Forum User
I moved my track Bar bracket forward to accommodate my front suspension. I have Wj steering and I used a RE HD track bar bracket for my TB. However, ever since I Installed my WJ steering I've been battling a slight wander in the steering. As I've tweaked things it has gotten better, and more manageable. But the wife still hates driving it, so I keep trying to fix it. :banghead:

I went through everything and found where I had welded the TB bracket seemed to be flexing the frame when the wheel was turned back and fourth. I have front frame stiffeners, but it still seems like it's flexing a tiny bit.

My question is, Could this be enough to cause a slight wander, and if so, what would need to be done to remedy this? I've been racking my brain on what it could be. Looking for a second opinion.

My only other thought would be to add more Caster. Or the steering box, which would suck to drop the dough on. However I doesn't seem loose when I have some one turn the wheel back and fourth.

Specs: alligned the front at home, I have good toe in, exactly 1/8". Not sure on caster. Almost 5" of lift with TNT long arms. WJ crossover steering and DOM tierod and draglinks with 1 ton TREs, heim TB. all steering components were replaced when I did the conversion( ball joints, unit bearings ect) Newer bfg muds 265/75/r17s recently balanced.

I went through everything and found where I had welded the TB bracket seemed to be flexing the frame when the wheel was turned back and fourth. I have front frame stiffeners, but it still seems like it's flexing a tiny bit.

My question is, Could this be enough to cause a slight wander, and if so, what would need to be done to remedy this? I've been racking my brain on what it could be. Looking for a second opinion.
I would think so, did you install the export brace to the frame side bracket?

PPM-8233-D1-400.jpg

I have the same set up you do, and though I find it completely tolerable, there is some significant "tie rod roll". I'd bet the wandering you're experiencing is rooted in the TRE's, in which case there's not much you can do to improve it.

I would think so, did you install the export brace to the frame side bracket?

PPM-8233-D1-400.jpg

I don't have the export brace. That might not be a bad idea to make something the supports from the other side.

The TB mount at the axle is mounted to the Inner C with some DOM. It's solid. I've made sure that it isn't moving.

If my wander is being caused by the TREs could swap to Heims?

This is my steering

And this is where my TB bracket is mounted. As you can see I moved it forward and it is welded in place.

I'm having a hard time seeing for sure, but is there a gap where the bottom of the frame rail meets up with the mount? Is it welded to the frame on the bottom at all? (My Track bar mount works its way loose at times and that caused some wander, but it also came with the side effect of the wheel being slightly turned while driving straight (after turning)).

With crossover steering, I can only imagine the wander comes from either the track bar or the upper or lower arms having some play in it. When having someone else turn back and forth (slowly at first and then rapidly at times), check all those links for play.

Trackbar , frame cracks, caster, ball joints , tie rod ends,

1. make sure that TB mount is welded all the way around.

2. fix your caster.

Add a steering stabilizer.
Makes a world of difference.
People say you don't need them. These are the same guys who say you don't "need" to wear a rubber when you party in Thailand.

Since that picture the TB mount has been welded around the bottom.

I'll try and adjust the caster, shouldn't be too hard with the TNT arms. Is 5-6* about where it needs to be? And when you adjust the caster, obviously you want to the jeep to be level, but what point on the jeep do you level? (ie crossmember, frame door seal)

Everything else seems to check out. I raised the jeep yesterday to check Ball joints and there isn't any movement on either side. Control arms are tight no movement there either.

I'm going to focus on the TB and see if I can weld around it more and maybe even add some plating.

Back