• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winters AW4 reverse gate shifter- Beware!!!

R.DesJardin

NAXJA Forum User
I am not trying to step on any toes but I don't want people to buy something that may not suit their needs either. I have already had a customer call about this. If I can be corrected I will apologize and delete the post but I'm pretty sure I'm on task with posting this.
So here goes.
As many of you know I do a lot with AW4 and A340 shift control and shifters. I currently sell a modified Winters #607-1 shifter for those trans. in a std/stock shift pattern. I recently saw that Winters was selling that shifter with a reverse pattern gate plate. Unless someone knows of a reverse valve body that I am not aware this will not work.
Let me try to explain, to get the transmission to be in 4th gear both shift solenoids need to be off, in third only the B or #2 solenoid is on. If I put the reverse gate shifter in 3 which we would assume would be drive the trans will be in first gear, yes 1st gear. Even is you have electronic control it will not go into 3rd or 4th. With no power to the solenoids the trans thinks its in limp mode and will be in 1st gear when the lever is shifter to the fully rear position.
If you have electronic control of some kind then you can get the trans to go into 1st in the 1 position of the Reverse plate, but you will have no compression braking for going down hills. Without the ability to change the hydraulic control part of the transmission to match the solenoid control the reverse pattern in not attainable.
Here is a photo of all three gates and how I have modified the stock plate.
Winters%20top%20plates.jpg
2015-05-08_19-52-43.jpg

Last edited:
Back