• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Questions

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ, AW4, I6
I am replacing the steering linkage on the Jeep and had three questions:
1) Should I put anti-sieze on the tie rod threads that go into the tube or will that make it too slick for the clamps to get a good grip?
2) My Jeep is mainly stock and it looks like I need to remove the front stabilizer bar too get at my pitman arm nut - am I correct in this assumption?
3) Is it best to torque up the pitman arm nut with the wheels back on the ground?
Many thanks

Use anti-seize. You will thank yourself later when you need to make adjustments. The pitman arm nut is what holds the pitman arm to the steering box. The steering stabilizer is on other side of the vehicle. You do need to disconnect the steering stabilizer at the drag link to change the drag link which is what goes from the pitman arm to the right steering knuckle. It does not matter when you torque the bolts. No bushings are involved. You just want to make sure the tops of the tie rod ends are parallel to the joint they are connecting to, not cocked at an angle.

If this is the first time you are doing steering, the joints have tapered ends and should not easily come apart. You need a tie rod end removal tool or whack the joints on the pitman arm and knuckle mounting rounds with a big hammer until they come loose. Do not put anti-seize, saran wrap, or anything on the tapered joints on reassembly.

don't hit the pitman arm with a hammer. Unless you want your steering gear to leak. Use a puller, a proper puller will make it easier too. Yes on anti-sieze on the threads. It will make the tech doing your alignment happy :)

Just a quick addendum to the above because such things can sometimes be misunderstood. When removing a tapered tie rod end and the like, what you hit is the side of the knuckle into which it inserts, never the stud itself.

This is sort of black magic. Not necessary but helpful is a little pulling tension on the tie rod. Watch out that neither yourself nor anything of value is underneath the rod, which will drop in a hurry. Use a biggish but not huge steel hammer and hit the side firmly. The taper pops out abruptly.

Thanks for all the advice I just wanted to clarify that I was referring to the stabilizer bar that looks a bit like a wishbone and attaches to the axle linkages and the body maybe I have used the wrong description for the part. This stabilizer bar seems to be preventing me from getting a socket on the Pitman Arm nut. I am not referring to the steering stabilizer that looks like a shock absorber. I wasnt sure if it was normal to have to remove this stabilizer bar on stock Jeeps to get at the Pitman Arm nut
Many thanks for all the help

Back