• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure concerns

unhitched

NAXJA Forum User
today I was driving my mostly trail jeep down the road and i glanced down and my oil pressure gauge was pegged, the engine seemed to be running fine. I pulled over shut it down, and started it back up, and oil pressure was normal.

Yesterday i noticed it was running a bit warm (just over the 210 mark) so i check the oil and it was a half quart below add, so i added a quart and the oil gauge we at 25-30 at idle a bit over 40 under power.

Should i be worried? I am going on a trip this weekend and I hope that my engine is not toast and that it is just and electrical gremlin although it has never happened before(that i have noticed)

any thoughts?

It's your oil pressure sending unit. Don't sweat it. If you do replace it, get one from the dealer because they work the best.

To relax you some, my Guage reads around 50 cold, and just under 40 hot cruise (1800rpm) and 20-ish at hot idle.
Been like that for over two years. Drive 500km's to work and back every two weeks (250 out, 250 home).
Recently added a mechanical Guage and it reads ...
55 cold idle and cruise.
35 hot cruise
15-20 hot idle

When the mech say 20psi the stock Guage still reads just under 40. The both agree around 50psi.
Other than some weird Guage readings and a nasty exhaust manifold leak, she just keeps running fine.

Might just be the used equus gauge, or not. But she keeps going, and going, and going ...

Most likely the sender failing, but checking it with a mechanical gauge is always best.

Pressure on my 98 started dipping lower and lower at any temp or load. Was out wheeling one day and the buzzer went off. Replaced sending unit, all is well. Although we did finish out the day with more trails, I couldn't trust it. Replaced ASAP. Would be rare for oil pump to fail, but you'd have no way to know.

After my head cracked and the coolant trashed my bearings, ive been running 4psi at idle and 25 at highway speeds for 100K.... youll be fine :roflmao:

Having a working oil pressure gauge is a new one for me.. My 90 the gauge hasn't worked for 10 years but I just bought an 01 limited and it runs normal about 40psi but once it's hot at stops and lower rpms it seems to drop to around 20 psi..

Back