• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hub centric wheel studs broke, need new ones.

Cburb88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have 1 inch hub centric wheel spacers on my jeep to clear the steering and had 2 break most likely from the death wobble it had at first. All they say is 10.9 metric on the back of them I tried going to parts store to get more but the factory ones for my jeep won't work in the spacer the diameter of the splined part is too big around to press in otherwise they would work.

Anybody know where to get these or what else I could do Im really not trying to buy a new set of spacers just for 2 studs being broke, thanks.

Any place they sell parts for Honda's, Toyota's, Nissan's and such will have them, you need a metric stud to replace it. If they broke it was more likely they were too tight to start with, should be Torqued to 90ft-lbs.

Ok thanks my dad seems to think NAPA should have em so i guess ill go there first, then maybe a jap car dealership, autozone didnt have crap.

One on the right is what i got from autozone the splined part is too big and wont fit into the spacer.

Are the adapters made by US Wheel Adapters? If so, you may want to contact them through their website, uswheeladapters.com, or give them a call at 877-823-2787. They should be able to give you the exact dimensions of the studs, or maybe even ship you some.

If you have a set of vernier calipers or a micrometer, you can measure the stud in a few places and then go to Summitracing.com.
It takes a little while to navigate to the right section of the web site (under wheels / tires) but you can narrow down the studs to the ones that match your handful of known dimensions (shoulder size / length, thread pitch, press in vs screw in, etc) and come up with a few part numbers. Whether you buy them from Summit or go to Napa with a part number in hand, Rockauto.com and Summit Racing have a wealth of information for the hobbyist.
PS: I'm not an expert but all the studs in the picture have a horizontal band of color change where it looks like anti seize was maybe applied? If so - beware - different anti seize compounds change the recommended torque value by as much as a third. Over torqued hardware has less resistance to fatigue, which death wobble produces in great amounts.

IF they are metric, more than likely M12x1.5 Most any parts store should have Dorman replacement wheel studs. If you can afford, maybe replace them all with 1/2-20 SAE like the factory XJ studs?

There are several dimensions on a wheel stud and thousands of potential candidates so the parts store will have to be real lucky to find the right one.

Dorman has a nice online catalog but as someone mentioned, you will need to be able to take measurements.

Dorman has a nice online catalog but as someone mentioned, you will need to be able to take measurements.

This.

Also, why are you running metric studs on an XJ?

Sounds like you're using a product that wasn't supposed to do what you're asking of it.
I bought 2 sets of Spidertrax cosmetically blemished wheel spacers for my DD MJ that have been flawless for Like $160 shipped - for all 4 with 1/2-20 studs and the correct hubcentric diameters...

Might consider what happens if it fails, and that $80 is cheap comparatively.

OP states they are hub centric spacers. I have noticed quite a few wheel adapters/spacers with metric wheel studs.

OP states they are hub centric spacers. I have noticed quite a few wheel adapters/spacers with metric wheel studs.

I should have mentioned wheel centric. More than likely, if you are using aftermarket wheels (which typically have a larger hub center), the wheel is now relying on just the studs for shear strength. You may never have issues, but it is by no means ideal.

The solution...

2.jpg

Back