• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92' Blower motor upgrade?

Fringeless

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 XJ. I would like to know if anyone has had any luck with installing a different blower motor that will increase airflow? I have heard about people doing as such on other Jeeps, just not the XJ.
I would like to have more HVAC airflow for the following reasons:
1. I like in a climate that sees triple digits.
2. I have installed a parallel flow condenser
3. I am running a custom refrigerant blend.

Please note that:
1. My evap and heatercore are clean as a whistle
2. The current motor and resistor are new
3. Wiring is tip top
4. The evap thermostat switch is aok.
5. The expansion valve is brand new with a 5degree superheat.

I am looking for more airflow to counter the 41-45 degrees (max ac/recirculate) and 45-50 degrees(normal) cycling that I encounter. On super hot-ass days, of course it is 30-40 sec cycling rate on highway. I would like to set my ac on high and have it cycle less and literally BLAST cold air, and reduce cycling rate. I know that there has got to be someone who has done or considered a larger motor. Maybe not for the same reasons (probably for more heat for those up north).
Big Steve aka Fringeless :piratefla

Might look for interchange on the blower assy and see if it was used on any other cars and if any of them have upgrades

More likely you will need to look at the motor, then search through something like Four Seasons catalog for other motors that are similar size. But being similar size probably means similar windings.

In the end you probably need an electrical shop to wind a custom motor

Yeah, been looking through my old print illustrated 4seasons catalog. I was just hoping that someone had beat me to the punch and found a hotter motor that bolts in.
:piratefla

BTW, the blower motor is the second largest amperage draw in my XJ

I think the limted airflow is due to the dash channel routing, rather than the motor

In CJ's people do it all the time to great success. I understand the current requirements my increase. That is ok, I have a 130 amp alternator onboard. Wiring is not an issue for me. Relays and wires are a no brainer. I would only consider this after verifying and comparing the draw of the new vs. old. For a fan, motor speed is what moves more air that is dependant on the motor winding. Speed and blade pitch has a very strong relationship to the amount of air moved. I understand the theory, I am just looking for a different motor that will fit in the factory space.
:piratefla

Back