• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping in an 8.25 for a D-35, any suggestions?

jhc7399

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up an 8.25 at the junk yard a few months ago and am getting ready to swap out the D-35. I plan to replace the spider gears, seals, bearings, all brake lines and install a set of disc brakes before I swap it out. Going to grind and paint as well.

Any other recommendations while it is on the floor and a lot easier to work with?

Why change the spider gears? Also use a flap disc not a grinder.

Between told by a few people that it can tighten up the slop in an old Axle. It is a jy rear end, don't want to have to fool with it later. Was going to use a wire cup brush on a 4.5 angles grinder.

I did that swap. I checked out the backlash and contact pattern. New wheel bearings and seals and swapped it. No problems. I did make all new lines too. I still need to change the LR line cause it's too close to the contact area of the bumpstop.
If the spiders are worn out the ring and pinion are def worn out. I think the slop they are referring to is the back lash between the ring and pinion.

I would inspect before replacement. If the spider and side gears are not grooved, pitted, or otherwise worn, I would run them. Make sure the axle shafts are not bent. Sometimes junk yard axles are good, sometimes they are worse than what you already have. Remember that the 8.25 has a crush sleeve and any movement of the side adjusters means back lash has to be set. Measure backlash before you disassemble.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I will definitely take my time and look into all of this so it is right before I swap. DD so it has to run for me.

Back