• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Orange pipe thread sealant on heater core pipe??

98Redbird

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I recently replaced the water pump on my 2001 XJ and while I was at it replaced the temp sensor and the outlet pipe leading to the heater core. I ordered these parts through Chrysler and when they came in they both had what looked like orange thread sealant (which was hard-ish) applied to the threads.

Assuming this was sealant, I went ahead and installed them both and then the water pump. Well as many of you already know, the pipe running to the heater core needs to be installed with the pump off because of orientation, and now, before I fill with coolant, I'm wondering if I was correct in assuming that the orange sealant was all that I'd need to apply before installing?

Is that going to leak? Was I correct in assuming that was a sealant from the factory? Or should I remove it and install thread tape in addition?

Thanks

Back