• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Oil Cooler Question

XJ_Rudolph

NAXJA Forum User
Iv got 33s and upgraded steering linkage, I was wondering if I should instal an oil cooler for it. Im going to be wheeling in areas with a ton of rocks this summer (Tahoe area). What do you guys think?

better safe than sorry. installing one will cost you about $40 and take a couple hours.

when you're standing on the trail with no steering, you'd gladly pay $40 and work a couple hours to have it back.

better safe than sorry. installing one will cost you about $40 and take a couple hours.

when you're standing on the trail with no steering, you'd gladly pay $40 and work a couple hours to have it back.

Looks like I know what im doing this week then!!

Can power steering fluid be over cooled? I've always thought about adding a cooler on my mostly stock setup but wondered if it will cool too much since I'm not running Big tires.

Can power steering fluid be over cooled? I've always thought about adding a cooler on my mostly stock setup but wondered if it will cool too much since I'm not running Big tires.

I also have this question

pretty much what he said.

enough heat will come from the pump and from contact transfer with the radiator that it will only get 'so cool'.

FWIW, I'm running 33's with a locked front axle. I repurposed the old stock transmission cooler as a PS cooler when I upgraded the trans cooler. My last 2 wheeling trips I have had issues with my PS fluid overheating and my steering fading significantly. This summer I will be flushing the system and going with a synthetic PS fluid, along with adding hydro assist. With that said, I definitely feel that a cooler is worth the while if you plan on wheeling quite a bit.

When you say the "old stock transmission cooler", you're speaking of an external one correct? I've read that you don't want to use the cooler built into the radiator as it won't really serve to cool your steering fluid so much as "regulate" it i.e. get it to a certain temp and keep it there essentially.

Back