• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end keeps jumping alignment

2T2-Crash

NAXJA Forum User
For some reason my front passenger wheel likes to get out of alignment. Three times I've had it aligned and three times it has jumped back out of alignment and it seems like its back to the same spot.

What are some things I should look at?

it seems as though it likes to toe out a bit on the front end. not a major amount but enough to be noticeable when driving. Camber stays proper though.

If the alignment keeps changing, you have worn part(s) or something is loose. Toe-in normally changes as the front end ride height changes, caused usually by springs sagging or when a new lift installed.

Once set, the alignment should hold for a long time, as long as the front end isn't seriously abused. If it keeps changing, you need to find out what is loose or worn.
Assuming it the alignment was done in a shop, the tech should have inspected everything in the front end to find worn parts that would prevent the alignment from holding.

Ride height does change alignment. It could be worn steering linkage. The drag link and tie rod ends would affect toe in. If the alignment is truly changing, and the shop keeps taking your money and realigning, I would find another shop. If you are mechanically inclined, you can do the alignment yourself with a tape measure, 13mm wrenches, and a pipe wrench. To change the drag link or TRE's you'd need a couple more basic tools, namely a 15mm and 19mm wench and a big hammer.

A loose track-bar would be my guess. Look for a mark made by the shifting bolt at the passenger-axle mount.

A loose track-bar would be my guess. Look for a mark made by the shifting bolt at the passenger-axle mount.

Would a stock track bar in a lifted XJ cause that? I went with the S-10 leaf and Ford coil lift back in 03 timeframe. Never got around to replacing the track bar. :dunce:

The lift without an adjustable track bar will shift the axle to the lift a little bit. At 2-3" inches of lift, the adjustment is about 3/8" IIRC. This should not cause any driveability problems.

Back