• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dead steering

89eliminator

NAXJA Forum User
quick background of the issue....
the stock pump was leaking rather badly so i decided to replace it before my last wheelin trip. turned the wheels right and left while on jackstand for a good 5 minutes to purge any air out. went wheelin, and the pump pretty much ate itself up in half a day. figured that i got a crap reman pump and went to autozone and put in another to keep wheelin. did the same routine to purge air. now it steers, but only when revving the engine. at idle, the pump does not seem to be flowing enough. did i get another bad pump, or did the steering box get damaged when the pump blew out?

... and went to autozone
I would rather hit a J Yard and get one that has not been F$@%-ed by a incompetent reman process.I have been there way too many times, it has gotten me to a point where I trust a J Yard part over reman stuff,unless I reman something by myself.
I had purchased 3 steering boxes from 2 different stores.Finally I went to a J Yard a got one from a 90 Firebird,quick ratio,in 2003.It has been in my 88 lifted XJ since then,NO leaks still to this day.

Last edited:
Back