• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plug question - RS12YC?

Is there any reason that RS12YC would not be a suitable plug to use in the 4.0?

RS is a tapered seat plug. The RC is a gasket seat plug. You need a gasket seat.

Use RC12LYC.

In '99 Chrysler switched to the RC12ECC (double Copper) plug when the coil rail was introduced.

RC12ECC is a hair hotter than the RC12LYC plug.

The RC12LYC plugs were used from '93 to '98'

LYC%20and%20ECC%20Plugs.jpg

Last edited:
where does that info come from? wonder why 99 is in the 00/01 category

The data comes from the Champion and NGK websites.

In '99 Chrysler introduced the RC12ECC plugs for their coil rail 4.0's (Grand Cherokee '99) and simply made them applicable to the '99 XJ as well, even though it was still a distributor 4.0.

If you look at the Emissions decal on your firewall you'll see RC12ECC plugs listed.

I don't think there's any downside to running the double platinum in a 4.0 with a distributor. Come to think of it, I think I run Champion 438's in my 2001. I used to run the Truck & SUV plug when they were available.

Thanks for the info on the plugs - I picked up a set of rc12lyc today.
I figured out that the 6 rs12yc are actually for my Benz e320. Just got mixed up onto the shelves full of xj parts and scraps. Also sorry for not being specific that this was a question for a 96.

Back