• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

16 inch wheel ideas?

twinhauler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I want to switch to bfg atko2 but need 16 or 17 inch wheel.
16 inch tires are 50 dollars cheaper each. Looking for 16x8 rim with
4in BS or less. Want something strong but like aluminum if I can
save some weight. I found interco Birddog 16*9 with 3.5BS has anyone
Used these rims, they seem tough. All the other rims including steel seem
to be 4.5 BS?
I am running 35 mtrs now with steel 15*8 ,3.75BS. I run rubicon, dusy and slick rock a lot.
Any ideas, what does everyone else run in 16 or 17?

So you want to buy new wheels to save $200 on tires?

I run Cragar soft 8s in 16" variety, but you aren't going to pick up new wheels for 50 bucks or less... pretty sure mine were around $75 ea a few years ago.

Even if you could find stock take offs with the right dimensions, you'll be spending more than 200 bucks on a set of them + spacers to get the backspacing where you want it.

You'll be money ahead to just keep your current wheels and pay the extra for tires.

I have 15 inch rims now and want to run some round(true) 16 inch wheels. I might do
the vanco 16 big brake kit too... so i was saying if i upgrade from my current 15s.
My biggest things is getting that BS correct, i like my tight turning radius.

What the OP didn't mention was the BFG KO2 is a new tire, replacing the old KO.
Unfortunately it is presently available in very limited sizes, none of them in a 15" diameter, except for the 30x9.50R15, thus the OP's is looking for other possibilities other than 15"s.
The rest of the available tires are 16", 17" and 18" diameter.
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire...es/all-terrain-t-a-ko2/tire-details#techspecs

My XJ needs a new set of tires too. Its present KOs have worked well in a wide variety of terrain and the new KO2 looks even better.
After a conversation with BFG customer service, I found that the 33X10.50-15 tire my XJ uses is not going to be available in the KO2 in the next year or possibly ever.
So, 16"s may be in my XJ's future too.

15's are rapidly vanishing from the market.

16's are going to follow them.

if you're going to spend the money on wheels, buy 17's..

I agree with the others. If you're going to buy new wheels go 16in at min, and 17 is where I would go. I'd bet a bill there are no new trucks with wheels smaller than 17in being produced today. 17in-20in seems to be the common sizes these days... the 15in tire is phasing out...

Find yourself a nice set of JK MOAB's, buy a set of wheel adapters from either ebay, amazon or Polyperformance.

I agree with the others. If you're going to buy new wheels go 16in at min, and 17 is where I would go. I'd bet a bill there are no new trucks with wheels smaller than 17in being produced today. 17in-20in seems to be the common sizes these days... the 15in tire is phasing out...
New Tacomas come with 16s, with some 17s available as optional equipment.

I would go with 16s if you plan on staying in the sub 33'' tire range, or you like the usually thinner metric tires.

17s for 33+ tires.

What the OP didn't mention was the BFG KO2 is a new tire, replacing the old KO.
Unfortunately it is presently available in very limited sizes, none of them in a 15" diameter, except for the 30x9.50R15, thus the OP's is looking for other possibilities other than 15"s.
The rest of the available tires are 16", 17" and 18" diameter.
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire...es/all-terrain-t-a-ko2/tire-details#techspecs

My XJ needs a new set of tires too. Its present KOs have worked well in a wide variety of terrain and the new KO2 looks even better.
After a conversation with BFG customer service, I found that the 33X10.50-15 tire my XJ uses is not going to be available in the KO2 in the next year or possibly ever.
So, 16"s may be in my XJ's future too.

I too have been keeping an eye on the 33x10.5 market. I just got off the phone with Tirerack, and the following 15" wheel sizes will be available for ta ko2 around October of this year:

215/75r15
235/75r15
31x10.5r15LT
32x11.5r15LT
33x10.5r15LT
33x12.5r15LT
35x12.5r15LT

Catalogue: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...d White Letters&partnum=305R5KO2RWL&tab=Sizes

Jake

Any particular reason to switch to the KO2? IMO, other than the Baja T/A and other race tires offers BFG's aren't all that. How long did it take them to "redo" the A/T, and it's basically the same.
The General Grabber AT2 is a better tire than the BFG A/T. There are a handful of better A/T tire options that are superior.

I would argue that. BFG AT's are rated for more weight than other AT's, last longer, wear even and still seem to hook up better most of the time.

Guys start complaining when they try to compare them to an MT.

Well I think I am just gonna stick with the 15s.. but looking for 3 new 35s mtrs and use my
Fresh rubber spare and be rolling on some smooth mtrs.
I called tire rack and they only have 2, gonna call goodyear and see what up with nobody having stock of these.
4wheelsparts has 140 on backOrder.

Guys start complaining when they try to compare them to an MT.
MTs are good tires but lack the snowflake, on the sidewall.
Love snow but I hate using chains.

Thanks for the heads ups on 15" and 16" tires slowly becoming obsolete, didn't know that. A couple of the 17"s KO2s look promising.

Looks like I found last set of 35s mtrs 15inch. Called goodyear today and they had no stock and showed
many on backorder. Per goodyear production date will be december? Wow. Didnt say anything about not making them anymore, which is good but just not now I guess. weird!
I found a set so I will be selling my 50% tires for a good price soon. New tires are due thursday we shall
See if they show up!

KJ liberty wheels fit, are cheap and available, but you'd have to use spacers.

I picked up a set for $50.

Back