• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 RENIX misfire backfire on acceleration

BigRen90

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 1990 jeep cherokee with the 4.0, idles ok it has a little bit of fluctuation but not bad when I try to accelerate it'll go fine until about 10mph and then you can feel it bog down and loose power it misfires and backfires out the exhaust, and the only way to really go smoothly is if I pretty much floor it until I get up to my desired speed and I can get it to cruise pretty well but if I take my foot off the pedal just a little bit it looses power and backfires and misfire like crazy sounds like somebody through some firecrackers in the tailpipe

I have 3 inch lift, it's on 33s, strait pipe from the cat back, duals from the cat, no muffler, I have 4 lights on the roof and 2 in the grill, my headlights are dim and the harness connector behind the headlight is pretty corroded and crappy, my bolts drop almost t

The electric fan will not turn, on previous owner ran a jumper on the temp sender in the rad so it runs all the time, my temp gauge never reads above 180 or so,

My Volt gauge drops low if I turn the heater fans on or the roof lights and grill lights on

I've replaced, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, tps, fuel regulator, crank sensor, o2 sensor,

My exhaust manifold is cracked right where the weld is about an inch above the o2 sensor, I already have a new ex manifold and gaskets

The old plugs looked really sooty with a tanish Brown color underneath the soot, Idk just thought I'd mention that

I'm about to order a fuel pump and put the new exhaust manifold on

I'm getting tired of this thing it needs fixed

ANY IDEAS???

I've thought about timing, and reindexing the dizzy, if I cut the mounting tab off wouldn't the distributor move around with that cut off?

Back