• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quality Parts ?

cartbart

NAXJA Forum User
as my jeep ages, its now 25 years old i seem to be having a harder and harder time finding good parts to replace things (mostly rubber). a lot of the stuff i get for lack of a better word is shit or i get a vendor who charges me a bunch of money and does ship out parts. any ideas where to get good parts ?

Any more specific needs ? I do agree, OmixAda and Crown Automotive parts either don't fit right, wear out quickly, or do both at once.

Most Moog parts are still good, Dana Spicer parts are excellent, Clevite suspension bushings are excellent, ACDelco parts are good, and there are lots of On-Line Jeep Dealerships for genuine Jeep parts.

RockAuto.com has lots of choices, I always buy the professional grade stuff instead of the budget priced crap. I fully expect a $60 ball joint to be better quality than an $8 economy ball joint.

Last edited:
I've found that control arm bushings from O'Reilly's are the same Clevite MOOG would sell at a higher cost. MOOG is available at Advance Auto.

For gaskets I buy Fel Pro from Advance, Auto Zone, NAPA, or sometimes Amazon.

Spicer makes excellent driveline parts. You can buy them from Amazon, Northern Drivetrain or Drivetrain America, and sometimes even 4wd.com.

For critical engine sensors, water pumps, etc. I usually go to the dealer or buy at an online Mopar dealer.

For fuel pumps, I buy Bosch from NAPA. Keep in mind that convenience is sometimes important. If you NEED a fuel pump today, you don't have time for Rock Auto to ship you one that may be defective. The ability to put it on the counter at NAPA and say this one is no good, give me another one, and be out of the store in a few minutes can be worth extra in some cases.

For bearings/seals SKF, Koyo, Timken, NTN. As long as its not Made in China without a name. NAPA sells SKF. Amazon can be a good place to buy Timken. Auto Zone used to sell a lot of Timken but has switching more things to unmarked Chinese bearings. Advance, O'Reilly's and Carquest sell a lot of National stuff which is Made in China. I try to keep the Chinese made content of my Jeep to a minimum, but its getting hard.

For steering parts, I usually buy NAPA Chassis. From what I can tell, they are the same as Raybestos Professional which is the same as what Dana spun off into an independent company. The difference is the warranty; NAPA has lifetime warranty.

Summit and Rock Auto can be good places to get many parts but I've found shipping options to be a little annoying. Summit ships some regional carrier and they aren't the greatest at making an effort to deliver to my door. Rock Auto can be slower than other options and also conspicuously labels their packages as Rock Auto. Nobody questions Amazon packages as everyone gets them. Rock Auto tends to honor manufacturer warranties very well. I had a track bar 6-8 years old and they were unsure of the warranty because of the years that had gone by but MOOG told them lifetime so they shipped me another one. Took about 15 minutes of my time.

I generally do not buy anything from Crown, Omix-Ada (or its subsidiaries such as Rugged Ridge or Alloy USA), or Dorman.

Last edited:
I agree with what's above. I'll always go to rockauto first if I have the time to wait for what I'm doing. For example I just swapped out my entire power steering system with an upgraded WJ pump, durango box, new hoses, new belt, IRO brace, cooler and filter for less than if I was going to buy just a stock pump and gear box from a box store. Plus the box and pump were remans from Lares which is based in the US and rebuilds their own parts. Same can't be said for almost any box store. I like IRO (Iron rock offroad) for my 4x4 parts. I think they make quality stuff that doesn't cost a fortune. But to each his own.....

Back