• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5 rcx need a little more clearance

jansen117

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I bought a 98 xj a while back with a 4.5" rcx short arm lift and I'd like to lift it about 2 more inches what could I do in a budget without replacing the major lift components

Do you have a sye?
Hows your steering?

Cheapest way, imo would be shackle relocation for the rear (should add 1.5" of lift) and a spacer for the front. Plus you get all the benefits of having the proper shackle angle which is a bonus!

Also depending on what shackle you have now, you could get a longer set to add a little more height

Your probably gonna want some control arm drop brackets though, that's getting awfully tall for short arms in the stock location!!!

Im not sure about the sye the lift was already on there so ill have to check and I was thinking about doinf the long arm upgrade somewhere down the road so that should take care of my control arms

If you are already at 4 1/2" on short arms I would break out the sawzall / grinder for clearance or go with long arms now - could go with control arm drop brackets, too, but either way you need to address steering angles. 6+ inches of lift on short arms is going to drive, flex & ride like crap.

How much more clearance do you need? What size tires are you running?

Fwiw with proper trimming and or fender flares, you can add a lot more space for tires/travel. I'm running 37's with 5-5 1/2" lift with plenty of room to move around. Not a ton of up travel in the rear, but with proper bump stopping it works great.
And after having XJ's with anywhere from 5"- the 9" (or 9.5" whatever it is) Rustys lift, I'm loving the lower stance!!!

i might just do the trimming on it instead for now and im running a 32" tire right now.
im planning on getting the rustys steel flares and armor for the rear anyways so im sure i could probably get more with trimming

Well if you plan on the Rustys fenders then I would bother lifting it at all!! That's exactly what I run. The Rustys front fenders open up a lot!! Even the rears hug the profile of a 37" toyo, mtr/k and irok perfectly. Not sure on some of the others. My pout is they give you tons of space!

Back