• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need help identifying a replacement engine for XJ

cpu777

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with 160k miles on it. I bought it with the (when hot low oil pressure). It rattles runs rough and gets 12.6mpg on average. Its all stock. I tried O2 sensors, Plugs, TB cleaning, HV oil pump, Heavy oil. I think the cam bearings are wiped out. Anyway with the truck I got a complete engine that supposed to have very low miles like 30k. I am not sure what the engine came out of. I believe after research a 93 YJ?

Block Casting:53008405
Numbers on Valve Cover sticker:53020299-M3YJ / 9-299-3493-234057

I know I cant use top end? But bottom end? What else would I need to buy? If it is usaulable?

Thanks
Ralph

I'm very sure the 4.0 straight six that was used in the YJ was the very same block used in the XJ. The only differences between the two engines were the fuel injection system and some other electrical components. If all you need is the block you can just swap what is on your original engine to the replacement block.

I have a 93 YJ engine in my 97. The water pump is different and so is the timing cover. I had to trim the timing tab off so the belt doesn't hit it. Any bottom end will work except for a WJ block. they have different mounting locations.

You can use any 4.0L engine if you want. There is a write up here using a Viper coil to replace the coil rail on the 00-01 engines.

And a 00+ TJ block.

I knew the WJ was different, I had a clue the TJ was but I didn't want to put bad info there. Thank you for the knowledge boost.

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)

Block Casting 53008405: 1991-1995 YJ, XJ, ZJ

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

If a 2000-2001 XJ Cherokee has a cracked 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler 1997-06 or WJ Grand Cherokee 1999-04.

Back