• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Erocc

35xj

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to thank Andy at the carolina rockshop for his help in getting my XJ ready for EROCC next year. We Got a pretty good start on it today, so much more to do. I can't say enough good stuff About The Guy. here's the humble beginings... www.carolinarockshop.com/art/DaveChopTop&Cage/DSC00768.JPG

Sweet. Are you going to do tube doors all the way around?

AARON

The cage is gonna tie the roof in for support and tie into the unibody at 8 points when it is all finished. Should be a fun project......:)

Andy

You have more "XJ" conviction than me. I'm selling my XJ due mostly to my desire to possibly run Ledgends in ERoCC next year. I'll be curious to see how a unibody holds up to the stresses of rock crawling competition. What are you doing to strengthen the unibody psuedo-rails?

There has been several XJ's to comp. in rock crawling events. Bart Jacobs is one that comes to mine. yet these have been modified to take the abuse. I think the frame could really be a problem. It's going to need a few more crossmembers than just the one holding the trany. Plus the cage for the inside that is welded to the frame with extra mounts, maybe support for the coil spring buckets running across the engine bay. So really, not that hard...just kidding. It would be cool to see it done and up close that is for sure. I know the Jeep Speed guys do some stuff to give the unibody some real support. Juice

well i'm startin to collect parts for my heep to get ready for erocc next year, sounds like there will be somewhat more of an xj showing next year :D anyway, i'm jstu gonna use some 3x5 box steel and sleeve the bejesus out of the "frame" that should hold up plus it will give me a chance to really beef my spring mounts and change the rear springs as well

What are you guys doing as far as protecting the hood and radiator? How are you reinforcing the front clip? The way the courses are setup in ERoCC, if you make it out to more than one event and run all the obstacle, chances are you will roll. There weren't too many competitors who went to all the events last year and didn't roll at least once. Hell, we rolled three times in two events, we were running unlimited though. I don't mean to discourage you guys, don't get me wrong. It's just the more and more I thought about it, the less and less an XJ made sense as a competition platform. For me it just didn't seem worth the effort just to go out and destroy the thing. Best of luck though seriously. At any rate, I'll see you guys there. I'm just not sure on which end of the rope I'll be on when I see you.

35xj said:
I wanted to thank Andy at the carolina rockshop for his help in getting my XJ ready for EROCC next year. We Got a pretty good start on it today, so much more to do. I can't say enough good stuff About The Guy. here's the humble beginings... www.carolinarockshop.com/art/DaveChopTop&Cage/DSC00768.JPG

Dave, That's awesome. Big difference since the last time I saw it. Can't wait to see it when it's done.

C

well i'm gonna run some form of a stinger and possibly tie some tube fenders into the cage to protect the front of the heep, i'm dovetailing the rear as well and running the cage to the sliders somehow, just not exactly sure yet.

Back