• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arms on XJ

jcxj91

NAXJA Forum User
Im doing a lift on my xj... And have a question!

Im going to SPOA... And i wounder if the front and rear long arms should have the same length?

Its my first lift... So i DO have some stupid questions :looney:

Spoa = spring over axle a spoa is not a long arm or a setup that uses arms it uses leaf springs. Not to mention the rear is already setup that way. Unless spoa means something different in your country.

As for rear long arms on a xj cant say ive ever seen it I've seen triangulated 4 links , 3 links with track bars but not a long arm type rear setup. Not saying it isnt feisable but a triangulated rear 4 link is the best option for the rear.

As for the lengths of a rear link vs front link no set it up with the lengths needed for the wheelbase and mounting positions avaliable. Trying to build something around using same length links will get extra complicated extra fast.

Spoa = spring over axle a spoa is not a long arm or a setup that uses arms it uses leaf springs. Not to mention the rear is already setup that way. Unless spoa means something different in your country.

As for rear long arms on a xj cant say ive ever seen it I've seen triangulated 4 links , 3 links with track bars but not a long arm type rear setup. Not saying it isnt feisable but a triangulated rear 4 link is the best option for the rear.

As for the lengths of a rear link vs front link no set it up with the lengths needed for the wheelbase and mounting positions avaliable. Trying to build something around using same length links will get extra complicated extra fast.

Sorry my misstake...
What i do mean is that i will NOT use leaf springs! Im going to use coil springs in the rear!
Im resently woke up and are tiered!Sorry :speepin:

What makes you want to do a coil suspension in the rear?

If you don't know much about suspension geometry and this is your first lift I say that's a bad idea!! Leaf springs work great for 99.8% of us. Honestly I don't really think there is enough room to really take advantage of the travel unless you do some serious cutting!

If your really set on a coil suspension for the rear, I'd go with TNT customs rear 4 link kit.
Claytons is nice too, but I like the design of the Tnt kit better, and install is way easier especially for a first timer. The Tnt kit is all bolt on except for the rear axle truss and the frame stiffeners (which you need, and want to install before the 'lift kit')

What makes you want to do a coil suspension in the rear?

If you don't know much about suspension geometry and this is your first lift I say that's a bad idea!! Leaf springs work great for 99.8% of us. Honestly I don't really think there is enough room to really take advantage of the travel unless you do some serious cutting!

If your really set on a coil suspension for the rear, I'd go with TNT customs rear 4 link kit.
Claytons is nice too, but I like the design of the Tnt kit better, and install is way easier especially for a first timer. The Tnt kit is all bolt on except for the rear axle truss and the frame stiffeners (which you need, and want to install before the 'lift kit')

I have no problems with leaf springs at all... I have 2" lift on now and i want a 6-6.5" lift and 35" tire... Im going to change the axels to stronger ones(witch one i dont know yet) and when i do that i want to change to coils!
I have access to all the tools and i like to build things... I look at all xj's i can and read as lot of information i can! In this summer a friend of mine that have done this on his xj... Are going to help me.
But i want to lern as mutch as i can before that... Why? Because its fun and i love cars and love to build stuff :)

Then i have to say... I am so impressed of all your builds i see when i serch in thes forums! I realy am! And that only make my interest bigger!

6 plus inches is a lot of lift for 35's when like 4 inches of lift and trimming will do a better job and offer a better ride. As for doing a 4 link rear there are kits made for sale or you can read the advanced fab section here or visit pirate and read there xj section. If you go to pirate there are a ton of hardcore jeep xj builds using both leafs and links just don't post any random questions before searching or you won't get a warm welcome.

6 plus inches is a lot of lift for 35's when like 4 inches of lift and trimming will do a better job and offer a better ride. As for doing a 4 link rear there are kits made for sale or you can read the advanced fab section here or visit pirate and read there xj section. If you go to pirate there are a ton of hardcore jeep xj builds using both leafs and links just don't post any random questions before searching or you won't get a warm welcome.

Hey thx for the warning... Have done som serching in this forum to... But have problem to find the answers i look for.
But i keep looking... Sorry for my bad spelling :/

I would suggest doing some lurking on pirate too, you'll find way more info on there on that subject....

20150131_172440_zpsvqycksin.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is my 2001 XJ with Iron Rock Offroad 6.5 inch critical path long arm (up front) and larger leaves in back. Nice strong lift but I'm working through an issue with front being lower than rear. Maybe a combo of winch bumper?

As far as searching naxja, more results seem to come up using google. Add site:naxja.org at the end of your search

Back