• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Post pics of your 12V OBA install!

/ZexGX

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for compressor mounting ideas for my pending OBA install. Post up your pics! I did a search but most of the picture links were broken.

I picked up a Viair 480C in need of repair, with the leader hose, for $30, and bought a 4 gallon pancake tank for about $30 and plan to put the tank where the spare tire normally mounts inside (my Jeep came factory with the rear swing-out tire carrier).

new_compressor_mount.jpg

Here's my ARB setup. If you want details, go check out my build thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1114207. I've had it in a couple places, hopefully it'll give you some ideas.

Bump! This week I'll try to find a place for the compressor. I'd like to keep it mounted level to help prevent uneven piston ring wear, so it's looking like I'll need to build a custom mount for the engine bay or build a custom mount for the rear passenger cubby area.

Here's my ARB setup. If you want details, go check out my build thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1114207. I've had it in a couple places, hopefully it'll give you some ideas.
Nice build thread. Sucks to see that it got stolen. Guessing that's what happened to mine at some point in the past, as I've found crimp connectors everywhere.

I mounted a Puma compressor (same as the one Iron Rock Offroad sells) in the rear passenger cubby in a bracket I made from scrap steel. It fits flush with the exception of the quick connect fitting. Unfortunately I haven't used it much since it keeps blowing the 40A fuses. It's pretty loud mounted back there though. I'll post pics when I get home.

I have the HF ripoff of the MV50 mounted behind the cubby in the right rear. It was a tight fit, but it freed up the space in the cubby for my tow strap. The compressor has power lines from the battery, a pressure switch and a relay switched by the fog-light switch on my dash. My 2x4 rockers serve as a tank and an output hose sticks out a foot or so in the cubby with standard air fittings. When I bought the HF compressor and looked closely at it, I didn't expect it to last long. The head doesn't have cooling fins like the MV50, it had a piece of plastic to simulate fins. I removed the plastic, added a relay instead of switching 30+ amps with a cheap rocker switch, then tapped it for NPT fittings. To fit it inside the fender I needed to remove the little platform it comes with, and trim the plastic covers i think. The compressor has been used pretty regularly for about 2 years now. Previously I had an MV50, but when it died, prices for new ones had gone up quite a bit. The MV50 or a refurbished Viar would be better, but it works. Sorry I didn't take any pictures when I was installing it and it is completely hidden now.

I did similar to jake3240 except mine is on the driver's side and I used 2) MV50's.
Got them both behind the panel and ganged together.

Sorry, no pics, I rarely document my work, prefer to just get it done.

Thanks for the pics, guys! Keep 'em coming. I found a spot between the brake master cylinder and the fender that should work if I can fab up a decent bracket (no welder - it's gonna be interesting...). If not, It's probably going in the rear passenger cubby.

Sorry, no pics, I rarely document my work, prefer to just get it done.

Solution: take pics to brag about it? :looney:

Back