• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cylinder head replacement??

What's the best cylinder head replacement for the 4.0 91-95 Xj? Should I just go to a junkyard and get a cylinder head and take it to a machine shop get it checked for straightness and rebuild it or should I just buy a replacement head? It doesn't seem like there is any other companys making a cylinder head replacement for the 4.0 91-95 xj other than ATK. Which is kinda bad because if they go out of business were all out of luck. Are the 91-95 4.0 xj cylinder heads the interchangeable?

Define "best". What is the budget ? A good used head that checks out OK will work. For a bit more you can have it rebuilt. Finding an automotive machine shop is not difficult. 91-99 heads will interchange.

Clearwater sells one. About $475 shipped to your door. Just have the casting number of your head handy when you call. Given how many 4.0 heads are out there, a used one that goes through the machine shop may be fine. Always a chance that a used one is cracked though. I'd say if you're in a hurry and the machine shops aren't, new is best.

Back