• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing chain - Cloyes double roller (or stick with OEM replacement)

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Is the double roller chain worth it over the stock chain setup?

Cost is about $80 more.

Cloyes 9-3127 True double roller
Cloyes C-3041 Standard replacement

I have a 97 XJ 4.0

double roller is a waste of money in a stock 4 liter.

buy stock replacement and enjoy.

I am leaning towards dealer at $100 because it looks like the Cloyes standard uses an old style timing set with more links than the FSM says to use. FSM says to use 48 pin, not 62. But it's tempting to try the Cloyes double roller.

Yes, I think the standard Cloyes set would be fine. After some additional investigation, I found that my 1997 FSM states to use a 48 pin chain, but my 2001 FSM makes no mention of pin count. Chrysler currently specifies the same chain for 94-06. Later models use a different sprocket setup, particularly for the cam. There is a break in the cam setup around 99. In a stock engine, I haven't been able to find any specifics on changes going from a silent chain to a double roller (noise, smoothness, performance). The double rollers are said to be lighter, take load better (import for modified engines with stiffer valve springs), and have less friction. The silent chains are good for super smooth operation. I was surprised to see the sprocket teeth worn down from the chain. Last time I've seen a timing chain was on a 1980's Mercedes diesel. Those used a roller design, and factory procedure to change the chain called for rolling out the old chain and rolling in a new one; basically you ground off a pin to separate the loop and then rotated in the new chain and. Sprockets were good for the life of the engine. It was an OHC design and was found that use of synthetic motor oil virtually eliminated chain wear; with conventional oil, chains would need to be replaced around 150,000. Its apples and oranges though, because of the much longer and more complex chain operation.

roller chains make a difference in tight motors with ridiculous RPMs turning cams actuating absurd valve springs.

unless you're building a 4 liter to spin 6k+ and using massive beehives to control the valve float it's really not needed. Yeah, a double roller keeps tighter tolerance on the timing, but you're not tuning it to live on the edge, so a degree or two of timing wander isn't going to kill it.

so like I said, waste of money in a stock 4.0.
run it if it makes you feel good, but the motor's not gonna care.
There may also be some timing case clearance work required to run a double.

Back