• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P1493 after battery relocation, did run, now no fuel

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I relocated my battery to the back of the jeep, I saw the little "button" in the bottom of the battery box and had been under the impression this was a kill switch in case of a roll over and the battery fell out(guess I was wrong), so I wired them together and moved on.
So the jeep got back on the road yesterday, everything was working fine with the exception of a CEL, hadn't had the chance to take it to get the code checked before the jeep died running down the road. Code P1493, and the fuel pump doesn't come on.

Not sure if it's related or just a coincidence. Plenty of battery power, cranks fine, won't fire(no fuel duh). Aftermarket tps(yes I know to get Mopar, couldn't wait for them to get one in, had to get from a parts store), original crank position sensor.

Ps 96 4.0

Last edited:
Without having googled it, I want to say that the "button" in the battery box is some kind of temp sensor most likely to help prevent overcharging.

Yeah i found that much, but what I can't find is wether it would kill power to the fuel pump, my educated guess is it would stop the alternator to cut charge to the battery, not the fuel pump.

Try hooking the sensor back up. The ECM uses it to control the charge voltage, based on the battery temperature.
The lower the temperature, the higher the charge voltage. For best battery life, it should be used.
Run two wires to the new battery location and reconnect it. This should get rid of the CEL.

But will it kill power to the fuel pump? Not so worried about a cel for battery temp, trying to find out if that cel is the reason my jeep is stuck on the side of the road and won't start because it isn't getting fuel. Is it not allowing the pump to kick on or is it totally unrelated and a coincidence, that I have a different issue like a bad crank shaft position sensor, or some other sensor not letting the pump come on?

Last edited:
Fuel pump was bad, got a Walbro pump on order, luckily the pump that's in it I bought about a year ago, and still under warranty. I give a manufacturer one chance to impress me, having to replace a one year old pump is not a good way to impress me, so I will be getting my money back.

As for the cel, I guess I will move the sensor to the back and retro fit it to the new battery box unless I can figure out a better by-pass.

Back