• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cant get my oil filter adapter off!!

josh870

NAXJA Forum User
:huh: pretty sure my 2000 4.0 xj is leaking from from the oil filter adapter, i have all three O rings ready to go on but i cant get the darn adapter off! its a t60, so im just using a 12mm wrench on a t60 socket since there is no clearance, then i put a pipe over the wrench but it just wont budge!! need ideas ASAP. thanks in advance

You might try sending a PM to Original_MudButt

I think health issues have impacted things for him, but I believe he is the one who makes a tool for this job. One of these days I need to get one of them.

I used an L shaped t60 wrinch from O'reillys with a 3 foot pipe on it from Home Depot. I got the smallest diameter pipe that would fit over it and left the orange cap that came on the pipe on to help snug it up. It took some time and another person to keep it in place but it did come loose.

Last edited:
I remember having to use some serious force to get mine to budge.

I used an L shaped t60 wrinch from O'reillys with a 3 foot pipe on it from Home Depot. I got the smallest diameter pipe that would fit over it and left the orange cap that came on the pipe on to help snug it up. It took some time and another person to keep it in place but it did come loose.

where did you fit a 3 foot pipe!? did you go from the top or underneath?
i tried alot more but i had my appendix removed recently so i had to stop and just go ahead with the oil change. i will have to pick up a t60 L wrench next time, didnt know they made em. thanks for the quick replies guys

I use a serpentine belt tensioner tool with a T-60 socket and go at it from the bottom. The belt tensioner tool is basically a long flat bar with a 3/8" square drive for sockets. You may even need a cheater pipe on that. You can buy pipes Ace Hardware, Lowe's, HD, Farm and Ranch stores, etc. You can probably rent the belt tensioner tool.

i tried alot more but i had my appendix removed recently so i had to stop and just go ahead with the oil change. i will have to pick up a t60 L wrench next time, didnt know they made em. thanks for the quick replies guys

I went from the top.

popped the T60 bit out of its socket. Fits perfectly in a 9/16" wrench. Cut the open end off one, duct taped it in to the box end. put it on the filter, end of the wrench facing straight up. put a high lift handle around it, give it a few good yanks and it will break loose.

Same problem here on my '01. Used a 1/2" Craftsman wrench with a T-60, and promptly bent the wrench trying.

I finally broke it loose with the T60 L-wrench from O'Really, and a floor jack handle, from the top side. With this combo, it broke loose relatively easily. Highly recommended.

Just did this last week. First I hit all around the bolt with some PB for two days, then I cut my Harbor Freight T60 open and duct-taped it in a wrench. Slid my floor jack handle over the wrench from underneath and it loosened up without too much effort. Just make sure it doesn't try to slip; clean the gunk out of the bolt first if there's any. Once it was loose I attacked it from above since I had to keep re-seating it.

xeO78e1.jpg

There wasn't even an o-ring on it. :confused:

I did mine from underneath, I tapped the bit out of the socket(to get more clearance) and put the bit into a wrench and used my floor jack handle for leverage. The floor jack handle gave me enough leverage that it came free instantly.

alot of great ideas here. makes me really wanna try again, do you have to drain the oil to take it off?

I removed the filter, then reinstalled after changing the seals. Only a few tablespoons of oil were lost. Once you break the OFA loose, the rest is easy. I was surprised at how easy it broke loose, just twisted right off, after the right tools were applied. A T60 L-wrench worked great for me.

I went from the top. I had the wife hold a piece of wood from under the jeep between the body and the wrench so it would not slip off. I did PB blaster the day prior a few times to let it soak in. It took some force but it came loose.

These were worth every cent.

Last edited:
You might try sending a PM to Original_MudButt

I think health issues have impacted things for him, but I believe he is the one who makes a tool for this job. One of these days I need to get one of them.
Thanks for the recommendation.... My 1st day back to work even!

I have 3 of them sitting here ready to ship.

They were fabbed for some other members before I got sick and I have yet to get back to them. But they literally take like 10 minutes to make.

I have to charge $6.00 for the torx bit, but the steel and labor is free to you. I use the USPS "If it fits, it ships" box, so it ends up being somewhere around 20 bux shipped. PM me.

I had a spare T60 3/8" socket that I had to cut the ratchet end off to make it shorter. Put the box end of a 10mm (?) wrench over the T60 and was able to get enough leverage by stacking another wrench to get leverage... Came off relatively easy but due to the lack of room its time consuming.

Back