• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end noise.

workman13

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 Cherokee Sport with 3" lift on 31's. It has the chrystler rear end. I have a weird noise coming from the rear end. Most of the time when driving, if i let off of the gas and coast it makes a weird "wah" noise or like a grinding type noise, its really hard to explain. It doesn't it doing constantly it will do it off and on. At lower speeds it doesn't do it when accelerating but when driving on the interstate today it seemed like it was doing it a little while crusing at 75.
I am planning on changing the differential fluid this weekend but was wondering anyone knew what the issue may be incase its something i could fix while i have the diff cover off.

Also is there any part of rear end to check when changing the differential fluid?

Thanks!

sounds like inner pinion bearing. check the yoke for slop and rattle.

also check the transfer case fluid

He's right, check for slop in the yoke. Don't drive it until you've addressed the problem. My 8.25 did the same, had a weird wah noise and sounded like grinding when letting off the accelerator. I had to go to the JY and pull another 8.25 cause I don't feel like spending the $$ to regear. haha

Back