• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project High Country XJ

jrmyers

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys and gals, my name is Jake and I’m from the Winston-Salem/Greensboro area of NC. I’m currently a sophomore climatology major at Appalachian State University and live in Boone. I plan to keep this thread updated for build progress of the Jeep but I’ll probably throw in some other shenanigans from time to time.

I traded my 1998 BMW 318ti with one of my coworkers' 2001 Jeep Cherokee sport in December of 2013. Said 318ti:

It was a fun little car that you could throw around but it required a steady diet of german car parts. Here’s the jeep when I first got it.

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Chrysler 8.25 29spline rear
Dana 30 front
NP231
RE 3.5” superflex
Cragar D-windows 15x8 3.25” BS
Goodyear Wrangler Authority AT 31x10.50r15
1” t-case drop
Flowmaster super 44 with 3” pipe after muffler
60mm throttle body
Ford 784 injectors

I put a Surco Safari rack and tossed a mismatched spare on top and went wheeling:

Gave the fenders a trim job (whoops) :

They stuff pretty well

More wheeling.

Sold the rack to a friend with a 2 door.

Took it camping:

Added a transmission cooler and Autopal 55/100w lights with LMC Truck harnesses:

Fabbed up a Dirtbound Cut n Fold rear bumper.

And here are some from Uwharrie today. We ended up going down the last half of daniel and it was a good time.

This will be a slow build as I’m on a college budget, but this summer should involve lots of progress as I scored a full time job. I’d like to turn it into at least somewhat of an expedition rig that I can travel with. Current plans are:
SYE
Rock sliders
4.56's and front/rear lockers
skid plates
33x10.50 KO or KM2
front bumper
Hood vents
And, if I win the lottery, dual rate springs and new shocks

Glad to see you got rid of the Bimmer.Any trade/sale from foreign to American is Great!!!!!!
Right on! If you've never railed a corner in a tiny car with a good suspension, I recommend trying it.

Looks like fun! I like the backspacing on your wheels. I have the same tires but due to stock wheels mine as shoved under the fenders.
Thanks, they give it a decent stance. I won't comment on how long I've spent staring at it head on.

Update:

I've been wheeling it a bunch lately and the dreaded trac-bar pop is back. I can imagine that I'll have to address this eventually by getting a new TB but for now I'll just tighten the piss out of it (the frame side joint).

I got really stoked about building it for 33's this summer but there are some other things that need to be taken care of first. My philosophy for this build is to keep it reasonable and reliable, but fairly capable. First mod this summer will be a SYE. Then I'll get some frame stiffeners. I'm 95% set on Detours xj-1 rock slyders with integrated stiffeners. I'm not sure what combination to do up front, but a good starting point will be a steel bumper or detours winch mount. Steering box spacer will happen either way. My ps pump gets LOUD on the trail, I hope it isn't a result of frame twisting and binding on the box.

Peace,
Jake

UPDATE:

Fixed the trac bar. The Frame side mounting bracket was pulling away where a couple sheets of metal are sandwiched. One of the bolts started to twist so the local shop ran a few beads..no more popping. Sway bar bushings are shot and clunk over every turn still so I pulled it for the summer. It rides heaps better without it bc my springs are so damn stiff.

Replaced both wheel cylinders when the last drop of brake fluid leaked out after some hard wheeling.

Replaced the alternator. It went out 10 miles in to my 90 mile trek home. Unfortunately had to get a tow all the way back as I was pressed for time. The stereo still cuts out though, I suppose I should replace some grounds/all the wires.

Wheeling in Blowing Rock:

84YVOEUl.jpg

On the ferry to Portsmouth Island, NC (outerbanks)

OTrtRuyl.jpg

t81cUVVl.jpg

Q2iiifrl.jpg

2uaT0ANl.jpg

I'm on the border between hating mud or sand more. A mixture of the two with brackish water is f*cked, sending some to ISIL right now.

I'm slapping on the 37x9.50r15s tomorrow. My crystal dealer convinced me it was a good idea and he knows a guy that has ran 40's on his dana 30 so I'm definitely safe. Might slap on steering from an Avalon to save weight.

Back