• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 5100 Shocks

kc_eiland

NAXJA Forum User
I bought some Bilstein 5100 shocks a while back to replace my Rough Country shocks (ROUGH being the key word that drove me to upgrade to Bilstein), and finally installed them today.

Holy crap what a difference!!! The Jeep rides so much smoother now. I drive the same stretch of 10 mile road to/from work everyday and learned where all the bumps are. I've purposely avoided them to keep my guts in tack... but now, with the Bilsteins installed, those bumps feel the same as my in Tahoe. Additionally, the tire vibe as you're rolling to a stop has disappeared as well.

Just thought I'd share. Hopefully this helps someone who is looking to upgrade from a Rough Country quality shock to gain a smoother ride.

Throw some Deaver springs in there and it gets to be two to three times better even still.

Im almost ready to click buy on some 5100s.
Been eying them for a while. Just need to get out there and flex and measure for the right length.
Hey seriousoffroad how much would shipping be on four 5100s to 43125?

Last edited:
Im almost ready to click buy on some 5100s.
Been eying them for a while. Just need to get out there and flex and measure for the right length.

I was doing the same. Just glad I finally caved in and pulled the trigger.

And Cal, I've never heard of Deaver springs, I'll look in to them.

They aren't cheap, but they are worth every penny you spend on them.

When I bought my current rig, it had 5100's in the rear, and no name white shocks up front.

Swapped the fronts to 5100's (proper length too) and now its fantastic to drive

Cal where do you recommend to get deaver springs from? Thanks

Can you buy larger bilstein shocks than the lift you have? I have considered in the future buying some but i have a 3" lift now. I plan on someday going to 4 1/2 or so and wouldn't want to buy new ones twice! Just curious!

Can you buy larger bilstein shocks than the lift you have? I have considered in the future buying some but i have a 3" lift now. I plan on someday going to 4 1/2 or so and wouldn't want to buy new ones twice! Just curious!

Bumpstop accordingly. You should be fine as long as you dont bottom out the shock. I run 12" shocks on a 3" lift. I have a 1/2" of shock left at full bump.

Its an important step to go out and measure full compression and full droop with your current sway bars and shocks disconnected. Thats the only way to know for real. Dont play the lift height game. Measure for your self.

Thanks guys! I disconnected my rear sway bar the other day and took it out to check the flex on it. I don't get very much rear flex at all. I am not sure if its the shocks holding it back or just the new leaf springs too stiff at the moment since they are new.

Any advice on what the best way to measure your shocks at full extension without completely removing them?

Here is a pic of what i mean.

Bumpstop accordingly. You should be fine as long as you dont bottom out the shock. I run 12" shocks on a 3" lift. I have a 1/2" of shock left at full bump.

Its an important step to go out and measure full compression and full droop with your current sway bars and shocks disconnected. Thats the only way to know for real. Dont play the lift height game. Measure for your self.

What exactly would you measure when doing this?

Back