• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head gasket (set) question

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Amazon, Summit, etc list a head gasket set HS9076PT3 and HS9076PT4. The cost difference is about $30 and both appear to have the same number of gaskets and seals.

Fel Pro's own catalog does not list the HS9076PT4.

For only the head gasket, Fel Pro lists a 9076PT1 and a 26211 PT. The 9076PT1 is listed as PermaTorque and the 26211 is listed as PermaTorqueMLS.

Does anyone know if the 26211PT is worth the extra cost? I can get the 9076PT1 for less than a dealer gasket. The 26211PT costs more than the dealer gasket.

Thanks!

Turns out the PT4 is for the newer XJ's. Intake Exhaust manifold is different.

Thanks for the other inputs.

The standard pro gasket is what's gone on my 01 in the past. I will give that Victor Reinz a look.

X2 on what cal said. I measured the 26211pt to be .037" on the metal layers and .056" on the uncompressed seal. It's spec'd to .040" compressed.

IMPO, MLS (Multi-Layer Steel)gaskets do poorly on the 4.0. Avoid them.

I don't know where you get that idea. Performance builders seem to prefer them. We're running close to 12:1 compression over 6,000 RPM's with one and have seen the high side of 280 degrees several times.. gasket seems to be taking it just fine.

HS5713 is what you want. IIRC, HS5713X is for early HO, HS5713Z is for later model with stamped steel cover.

Otherwise, Cal is right on the money for HG only.
Your local Carquest/Advance, Napa should have this in stock or can order it. Or amazon.

While we're talking head gasket sets, are viton the best valve seals? are they any specific color? When my 01 XJ head went out I bought a replacement TUPY ready to bolt on and that shop used cyan colored valve seals and I believe they said they were piton. In the PT4 kit, the Fel Pro valve seals were black.

Viton handles heat better than (nitrile) rubber, so you'll want to use viton seals on the exhaust valves at least(no prob using them on intake valves if you get a set of 12) .

Last edited:
Back