• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Force Open Loop

5bucks

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know how to force a '98 4.0 to stay in open loop after warmup? I've read putting in a 160F thermostat as well as disconnecting 02 sensors.

if you disconnect the o2 sensors it will run open loop with a "system malfunction" error

but yes, the question is why?

Having an issue where engine looses power after getting up to temp. Like 30+ miles at highway speeds. Thought to be a clogged catalytic convert. Getting more clogged when hot causing O2 sensor to give bad info for fuel air mix. Runs fine when in open loop. Need to drive the vehicle home from parking lot about 50 miles away

then just disconnect the manifold o2 sensor and it will stay in open loop.

it's gonna run quite rich, and with a clogged cat that may be bad things.

I actually don't know if it is clogged. That a shops opinion. No CEL. Something causing a bad fuel ratio after extended driving at highway speeds. After things cool off it runs fine. Even when I have the problem it will restart and idle perfectly. Any chance this could be a bad O2 sensor that's not throwing a code?

Dont bother with changing the thermostat,
... as, Open to Closed Loop, occurs quite quickly after startup - when the coolant temp is still as low as 70*.

I havent tried it ... but disconnecting the O2 sensors may well cause the PCM to apply the Open Loop fuel presets in relation to whatever coolant temps are relevant.

Cats get very hot when they're clogging up. If yours
is nearly cherry red, then it's indeed clogged. Running
in open loop still won't get you home; might be better
to loosen the cat flange so there's a gap for exhaust to
escape. Yes, it'll be loud, but you'll get home...

Haven't you guys ever used a vacuum gauge to check for exhaust restrictions such as a clogged cat?

Back