• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bypassing the heater core

1993 Red XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep keeps running a little hot. Everytime I flush the heater core the temp goes back to 195 at highway speeds. But two weeks later it inching up to 210 again. If I bypass the heater core will it affect my air conditioning?

If anything you want to keep it connected if your running hot sometimes so that you can turn on your heater to cool it back down when needed. But to answer your question no disconnecting it will not help your problem unless the heater core is leaking, causing your cooling system to not hold pressure and run warmer than it should.

The heater core has been plugging up several times on me. I have flushed the entire system but there is still rust in there. I'm going to replace the radiator and the water pump to help remove the rust. I'm gonna remove the water pump and give the block a good cleaning.

No heater control valve. A plugged up heater core will restrict coolant flow causing the engine to run warmer. It was running 220 and went and had the heater flushed and immediately the temp went to 195 the same day.

The heater core is not complicated. It's either flowing or it's not. did someone else flush the core, or did you do it? Do you know if they (or you) removed the hoses and flushed the core independently? Back and forth?

If there is a bunch of gunk in the whole system, the heater core may be where it's all ending up when the coolant is circulating. If you have rusty gunk circulating around your cooling system you'd need to find the SOURCE of the crap. So, cleaning out the block is not a bad idea, at least you can eliminate that as a source of crap.

Unless the core is leaking, I would not bypass it. Has anyone put any stop leak stuff in there that you know of?

Yes there was stop leak in the system. I put a high flow water pump,thermostat housing and a 3 core radiator. Flushed the block good and now I have a bigger problem. I have milky oil.

Back