• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 BRAKE ISSUE!!!

xjmud5lut

NAXJA Forum User
Manufacture date is 11/98

at some point in 99 they decided to change rotor types. Does anyone know what the pre 1999.5 rotors are if they are composite or cast. i cant find much info on this. i even went to the dealer and gave them my vin and when they pulled it up it shows both cast n composite. they said for them to know exactally what ones are on my xj they would need to have it in the show n pull it apart

EDIT

FRONT BRAKES

Last edited:
You'll have to pull a wheel to know which you have as there are no guarantees, and if you are unsure of the vehicle's maintenance history, it's even possible to switch from one style to the other (They don't even have to be the same side to side, they just have to match the installed unit bearings as I found out the hard way).

Here's what you need to know to figure out what you have:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245269210&postcount=22

You'll have to pull a wheel to know which you have as there are no guarantees, and if you are unsure of the vehicle's maintenance history, it's even possible to switch from one style to the other (They don't even have to be the same side to side, they just have to match the installed unit bearings as I found out the hard way).

Here's what you need to know to figure out what you have:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245269210&postcount=22

okay cool ill pull the wheels off on passanger n driver side n look at the hubs thanks a bunch hopefully they match lmao

Yeah I found out the previous owner had swapped one side for a different style bearing at about 8pm and needed XJ to get to work the next day... was not happy about that.

Yeah I found out the previous owner had swapped one side for a different style bearing at about 8pm and needed XJ to get to work the next day... was not happy about that.

well i know my drivers side hub assembly is new but idk what one the mechanic put in.. and he cant remember cause it was 8 months ago hahaha

ill rip the wheels off sunday when i install my new bushwhacker flat flares and see what im working with thanks for the link and info

Interesting that your "mechanic" does not have documentation of parts installed. Unless this is some one that does stuff for you in their driveway or something?

Adding to the confusion here, although I believe the earlier half year type were composite, aftermarket rotors were sometimes made in cast form to the composite dimensions, so if you don't know the history of the vehicle, the fact that you see cast rotors does not always mean you have 'cast-type' rotors!

You should also remember, just in case it comes up, that the later cast type does not share dimensions with the older cast type used in the Renix era.

I replaced the composite rotors in my 95 with cast rotors of unknown provenance off a junkyard Grand Cherokee. I don't know the history, but I know they fit.

Replacement aftermarket rotors are all made from cast iron.

D30 rotors are machined to cast or composite dimensions, so you can't tell anything by looking at them. You need to identify the hub type on both sides, AND you need to measure the rotor dimensions.

All the info you need to identify brake rotors and hubs is at the link posted above.

standard.jpg

I found out the hard way about the two different rotor hat sizes. I was given the bigger size when mine needed the smaller. Finished the brake job and torqued the wheels. The jeep wouldn't move. Rotor hat was burying itself into the hub. Took only a minute to figure it out. If you don't measure or can't just bring your rotors into the auto parts store to compare them.

The bigger size is the more commonly used rotor. Or at least that is what my auto parts store said.

If all else fails.. BUy the matching 00-up hubs and rotors, swap them in and call it a day.

Back