• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nice xj project I have been working on at work

mcguyver_xj

NAXJA Forum User
Taking my buddies 99 xj apart had about 6" lift stock axles with lunchbox lockers and 4.56's and wants to run 37's....we all know that ain't happenening...

out with the old stuff:

tnt frame stiffeners:

clayton long arm crossmember and clayton long arms:

liquid iron front stiffeners:

rustys offroad leaf spring mount reinforcement:

waggy44 rear tnt customs truss 5.13 gears and a locker:

waggy 44 front tnt customs truss 5.13 gears and a locker otk heim steering and maybe hydro assist:

will update more still working on it just posting to give people inspiration and or ideas

Looks great, the only thing I would do/did do different is weld through primer the backside of the stiffener and seamseal around the perimeter of the metal(between the welds ect) you want to keep as much water from getting in between the there as possible because we all know what happens if we don't in this part of the country.

Nice man! Looks awesome! Actually looks just like my '98!

Now that the stiffy's are on are you gonna replace those crusty rockers with 2x6?
I like what you got going on, I'll be watching this, as mine is about to go through phase 2 and I'll be doing a lot of similar things.

Looks great, the only thing I would do/did do different is weld through primer the backside of the stiffener and seamseal around the perimeter of the metal(between the welds ect) you want to keep as much water from getting in between the there as possible because we all know what happens if we don't in this part of the country.

we grinded only where absolutely necessary then used primer and oil based tractor paint so they should be well sealed and the backsides of the stiffeners were painted with weld-thru primer

Nice man! Looks awesome! Actually looks just like my '98!

Now that the stiffy's are on are you gonna replace those crusty rockers with 2x6?
I like what you got going on, I'll be watching this, as mine is about to go through phase 2 and I'll be doing a lot of similar things.

in time we are gonna do the rockers with 2x6 with some sort of reinforcement legs to the subframe

Is he keeping the same springs? 'looks nice!

for now keeping the front rc springs but out back going with better clayton leafs and thicker shackles (i have seen rc ones bend)

Last edited:
axles painted up just about ready to go in for the last time (just finishing up gearing and lockers) then we will put them in install axles/brakes/brake lines/vent hoses/new diff covers/etc...

rear axle is pretty much in just gotta run a breather hose and the decision was made today to do rear shock hoops and rear subframe stiffeners...

front axle kind of in just gotta wait for some parts:

Yes and a simple diy truss would work great and allow for money for better braking, especially because he plans on running 37s. I guess its just me but I would do things a little different.

All that money in trusses and still drum brakes in the rear.

the axles came with all brand new brakes will get discs and chromos eventually, and im pretty sure the trusses were bought on sale or something so my buddy got them for a good price, and money wasnt spent towards moderately better braking incase some problems were encountered while installing everything

Last edited:
Back